Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Stop\'N\'Go

I'd 3-bet the flop with the plan of continuing to lead and calling down if raised again. 2/4 party opponents like to slowplay big hands and fastplay marginal hands/draws or bluff/semibluff too much for me to slow down here after one flop raise.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:42 AM

I don't think preflop really matters here. Since MP3 posted I'd probably lean towards a raise but whatever.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 AM

sorry, i didnt mean to ataack you. it was uncalled for.
guess i didnt have my morning coffee yet.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 AM

I would have 3-bet the flop and led any turn.

The stop and go now clearly states you have an Ace. Even if he is on a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flush draw, he's probably going to go away now if he's not holding an A. If he is holding an A, you're capping every street only to get to a chop (or god forbid lose to 66).

Since you called the flop, you could look to check raise the turn here. Even if is checked through (which would suck), you could then probably put him more squarely on the flush draw and just hope it comes on the river for him. He may not put you on an ace in that situation either.

Since it's heads up and you have a monster, I think it's ok to try to get slightly tricky.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:59 AM

you're still giving up a lot of equity at low limits with a hand that plays well multi-way, and you're ignoring the benefits of having raised preflop in your postflop play.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since it's heads up and you have a monster, I think it's ok to try to get slightly tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I just thought that leading the turn was the "slightly tricky" way to play (c/ring seems pretty straightforward to me).
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 AM

since you're playing devil's advocate... against a loose opponent's raise do you ever cold-call with AQo in certain circumstances? how about AJo? Because I'd wager you do (or should) sometimes with the former, but not with the latter.

Chief is right though, and so are you to some extent, that it really doesn't matter much. I definitely limp KQo and ATo here and almost always AJo (although against certain opponents and given that one of the limpers is a poster, yes I might sometimes raise)...

But if you're willing to dismiss slim preflop equity edges because you're more comfortable playing in the smaller pot you should have your own plan for how to play flops like this... they're all pretty close, and they're all read/situation dependant. I'd start playing differently preflop, so I'm not sure what my opinion is going to benefit you, since almost all your decisions here will have negligible difference on the size of this pot, or your play in general, unless you do something ridiculous like fold.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 AM

bingo.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 AM

What was this for?[ QUOTE ]
bingo.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only point about raising KQo or AJo is that most people don't. And from a pure equity standpoint there's really not that much difference - so if we're not raising AJ/KQ then not raising AQ can't be too bad either.

In a smaller pot (3-4 players) I'm leaning a lot more towards raising. I didn't even realize that there was a poster - which was probably a multi-tabling miss - but that would change things as well.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:16 AM

the bingo was of agreement. i like your play on the turn. i think your reasoning was solid. your play was in-line with your reasoning.