Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Stop\'N\'Go

Raise PF, 3bet flop and take it from there
Old 09-21-2005, 12:35 AM

I think you are ahead of villian so much here. With the turn A I think SNG is good for me. But lets assume a card like a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the turn. Villian has AXs so much here. I make the play villian did with AXs on this board a lot.

Thus, I think it wold be best to 3-bet flop or check raise turn. Villian should pay off with weaker A.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've started to raise this preflop, and I think you should too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume by this statement that you previously weren't raising this PF and only recently have you changed your strategy. Why?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No Read on MP3 Villian - he just sat down.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOO.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
according to poker stove, your gonna win this hand a third of the time against 3 other 25vpip players.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love Pokerstove too but the problem with your calculation is:

#1 - I was against 4 opponents which drops my equity (although according to my calculation is still slightly greater than 20%)

#2 - PokerStove is assuming that all 5 of us are going to the river - which obviously isn't true. My equity is going to change drastically on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
unless you hate money, raise. this raise is profitable (and dont think you give up the option to check raise because you raised preflop)

[/ QUOTE ]
I won't disagree that the raise is profitable. But sometimes it's correct to pass up on a +EV situation now to take advantage of a larger EV situation later in the hand. Also, I know that I don't give up the option to c/r just because I raise PF. That being said not leading out of a blind after a PFR is just asking for the flush draws (or straight draws, or any draw) to check through on the flop. My flop check here would've reeked of a check/raise attempt to even the weakest player.

[ QUOTE ]
i really dont think your opponent has a 6. i dont think that many players would raise a 6 on the flop and force ppl out of the hand. he either has a flsuh draw or an ace most of the time. why not 3 bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think my Villian is in an awesome position to raise a 6 on this flop. He's either protecting his hand or gaining value from draws that will call 2 bets (probably a combination of both).
Old 09-21-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when you lead this turn, he will fold weaker hands that he may bluff with. i think since you played the flop the way you did, you should now go for a check raise. he will bet a 6 or a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
I found this to be interesting. I think that leading the turn may induce him into calling down with his six (or even a medium pocket pair like 88/99) - where as a check/raise is such an obvious show of strength that he might fold a 6 (remember that Villian is unknown). There was a discussion I recalled awhile back where we talked about stop-n-go's confusing the opponent into calling down.

Let's be clear - when I hit the Ace on the turn I want to be getting (at least) 2BBs out of the next two streets (assuming I'm ahead). I can either lead and hope to get called (my stop-n-go line), I could check/raise the turn, or I could check/call the turn and check/raise the river. I think waiting until the river to c/r is too dangerous given that he'll check behind with a lot of hands (probably including a six). I think check-raising the turn folds a lot of hands before I get my 2nd BB. Which leaves me with leading out. I'm not sure it's correct but, that's my thinking.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:19 AM

so when you post a hand, you;re not realy looking for advice. you're looking for us to agree with you, and if we dont you will try to find every reason to argue. np gl
this is my last post in this thread
Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What was your plan if the turn card wasn't so helpful?

[/ QUOTE ]
HU - check/call the turn; bet/fold the river. I'm not losing that much if he checks behind with a flush draw. Even so, I'm not too worried about him checking behind because it's HU and most players will bet that flush draw again hoping to fold me out. I want to get one BB in on each of the turn and river but I think I can safely fold most river cards if he raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds right. I think I would raise preflop since your not exactly 1st to act. 4 callers would be my limit though. Suited of course you raise.

I hate playing out of position
Old 09-21-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suited of course you raise

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely - I wouldn't have thought twice about it.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suited of course you raise

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely - I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact - for all the posters who think it sucks I didn't raise PF here - are you guys raising KQo here too? AJo?