Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-18-2005, 05:45 PM

Default AA party 2/4

I have been playing slightly laggy, nothing really crazy, but quite a bit of openraising. I reraised villains button raise from BB, he folded and remarked that he didn't like having another sLAA at the table. So apparently he considers himself SLAA, but he seems quite solid to me by 6max standards. He also said he has 400 hands on me, so he uses pokertracker. So far he has shown a bit of resistance to my raises, but it has been of the passive kind.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($674.94)
SB ($988.45)
BB ($400)
Hero ($492.90)
MP ($404.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $13, BB calls $11.

Flop: ($45) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, SB calls $40, BB folds.

Turn: ($125) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB, hesitates a good while then raises to $450</font>.
Hero?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: AA party 2/4

Check behind, call river.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thought about checking behind, and I do it a lot. All the draws convinced me to bet. In my mind it's pretty close, no?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:31 PM

Looks like he wants to win the pot on the turn, I put him on a J.

Call the raise, and see his river play. I'm probably calling a moderate river bet.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like he wants to win the pot on the turn, I put him on a J.

Call the raise, and see his river play. I'm probably calling a moderate river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am allin if I call the turn.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:55 PM

Ah, did not notice that.

Would a 9 really try to push you off your hand? There seems to be no value in this raise of his.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:58 PM

You can avoid this by checking behind on the turn. I really don't think it's close, that's the right move against an aggressive oponent. Would be close if the turn was the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

As it is you are in a tough spot, but this reeks of a draw to me. Passive on the flop, hoping for an overcall, and then aggressive on the turn when you refuse to give him a free card and he gets a good scarecard. I'd call. I think most T/sL-A's will lead this turn if they have a 9. And the timing issue can fall out both ways.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can avoid this by checking behind on the turn. I really don't think it's close, that's the right move against an aggressive oponent. Would be close if the turn was the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

As it is you are in a tough spot, but this reeks of a draw to me. Passive on the flop, hoping for an overcall, and then aggressive on the turn when you refuse to give him a free card and he gets a good scarecard. I'd call. I think most T/sL-A's will lead this turn if they have a 9. And the timing issue can fall out both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this board is obsessed with checking behind on turns. If you don't bet an overpair on this turn, what do you bet? I think it's not in the least close if the turn didn't pair the board. Board pairing makes it a bit more WA/WB, but really, protecting my hand is very important on this board. How profitable are you to play draws against when you check behind on this board?

Pot control is good and all, but it isn't the almighty grail.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:13 PM

I agree that betting the turn here is best with a draw heavy board. Many people like to check behind on the turn not because they are way ahead or way behind but because they want to avoid making a difficult decision if they are raised. If you are only willing to bet the turn with the near nuts it becomes pretty easy for people to know where you are at.

As far as this hand goes if my read says he is a nit, I fold. If he is an agressive player than I push.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thought about checking behind, and I do it a lot. All the draws convinced me to bet. In my mind it's pretty close, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty close, but once you bet the turn I believe its correct to fold.