Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Legitimate hands?

I realize this is vague, but I would like some thoughts. In a $50 freezeout, 70 entrants, and a medium environment (neither exceptionally loose or tight) what would your cut-off point of the 169 starting hands be, from all positions on average? 50%, 40%. etc??
After the flop, what would you consider to be (what Slansky calls) a "legitimate hand". In spite of doing well at these tourneys (in the money 30%)I believe I waste alot of bets at early and midpoint of the tourney with mid pairs (55-TT), solid suited connectors, where I miss the flop. I may end up looking at an overcard, a backdoor flush, three straight,and I check or fold when bet into, rather than taking the turn and the river, where I could draw something. It realize that position is important, but I started to wonder if people have a "minimum hand" that they would require before playing. (BTW, Has anyone looked at SLansky's "System" for Tournaments? Thoughts?)
Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Legitimate hands?

Too general. Answer changes depending on numerous factors (what I've seen my opponents do, blind levels, stack sizes, where we are in regards to money, etc.)

In no limit hold 'em, especially in tournaments, I can't give you a chart of good starting hands in certain positions, because there isn't one. Don't restrict yourself to limit hold 'em thinking in terms of starting hands, is my best general advice to a general question.

Also, play more aggressively.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:59 AM

Very much agree with nash. Although, I will say, if you are bet into, chasing backdoor straights and flushes or continuing to play (in a multiway pot) a pair with an overcard on the table is a good way to flush chips.

The situation is very different if you are leading the betting.

Will
Old 09-16-2005, 10:10 AM

Generally speaking, you want to play suited connectors and pairs early in a tournament, because of the tremendous implied odds if you make your hand. On the first hand of a tournament, you better believe I would play 22 UTG. But during the middle and late stages, you have to be willing to change gears and throw those hands away unless the situation is very favorable to make a move on the pot. In your typical online tournament, you simply can't afford to keep limping with speculative hands once the blinds get big.