Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-14-2005, 08:18 AM

Default A4s

MP1 is a LAP (60/26/1) I was trying to isolate who was showing down some really weak starting hands that ended up hitting post-flop.
CO is new to the table and I didn't have a read.
Button is also a LAP.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets (He has 1/2BB left in his stack after this bet)</font>, Hero...

Does anybody like any street so far? What's the river play?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: A4s

when a passive postflop button raises behind you on the flop i'm not sure i'm excited about 3-betting here...

river is an easy call, i'd be hoping to chop. there's nothing to be gained by raising.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i'm still thinking about the pf. i make this play alot, but if the table is so loose i don't know that raising is optimal. you have to bet this flop to avoid it checking through and giving any free cards. i certainly don't like button's raise on the flop given his passivity(or read thereof anyway). it could be a free card play i suppose. i personally play the flop fast in what i perceive to be upcoming marginal turn and river decisions to save bets on the big streets so i don't mind the flop 3bet so much. have to bet the turn here in case there is a draw against you, problem is, any other ace is likely beating you. button seems to be calling an ace down or drawing to the flush. they only call your turn bet and that is where you may have beat a better hand into passivity with the flop 3bet and extracted an extra sb from those drawing from behind. on the river i wearily call given button may fold if he was drawing or will likely just call being the passive player he is if he has a hand. i feel your prelude to the hand concerning MP1 may have come true once again, but you cannot think weak like that. conversely, you do not have a powerhouse hand yourself, so calling would seem correct.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 AM

I don't like pre flop on such a loose table. I like a stop n go after button raises the flop. I would just call the river.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 AM

I'd call the flop raise and the river donk, given the reads.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 AM

I think a river raise is in order, as long as MP1 is capable of making this bet with hands that don't include a trey. We're probably no longer behind the button if we were at all (he'd 3 bet AQ, AK, and JJ preflop, I'm assuming, so we're only behind AJ, A8, and quad 3s, which seem unlikely, given the action), and a raise *might* get him to fold an ace, earning us half the pot.

I don't like preflop much, but I doubt it's a significant mistake. The extra blind pads the pot enough to get both the poster and the BB to come along. I'd probably just limp here.

-McGee
Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a river raise is in order, as long as MP1 is capable of making this bet with hands that don't include a trey. We're probably no longer behind the button if we were at all (he'd 3 bet AQ, AK, and JJ preflop, I'm assuming, so we're only behind AJ, A8, and quad 3s, which seem unlikely, given the action), and a raise *might* get him to fold an ace, earning us half the pot.

I don't like preflop much, but I doubt it's a significant mistake. The extra blind pads the pot enough to get both the poster and the BB to come along. I'd probably just limp here.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

No one ever folds an ace on that river. Also, what are the rules? What can you raise to?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 AM

I'm not sure if I like A4s as an isolating hand with a LAP and an unknown still to act. I like the flop because I think the 3-bet will persuade Button to fold his 4-6 outer on the turn. The river is really weird... I don't know if raising wins you a pot you might have lost 1 in 7-or-so times, but I would think raising folds Button out at least 60-70% of the time. Two other considerations -

1) Your kicker situation might have just been solved by the board pairing. This increases the chance that at least you're getting a chop with Button.
2) A lot of bad players see the board pair and think "hey I've got 2-pair, that's a great hand." If we think this is slightly significant, the chance YHIG against MP1 goes up.

Taken the size of the pot I'll vote for a raise on the river.