Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 06:31 PM

Default best beginner chess books and developing chess books

are?

help appreciated - thanks,
fuji
Old 09-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: best beginner chess books and developing chess books

Are you familiar with the standard rating system? It might make it clearer what you mean by "beginner". Does this person know the rules yet? Have they learned basic principles (e.g., "control the center") and are looking to delve more deeply? I think the list of books for someone around USCF 1000 and someone USCF 1400 would be a little different.

John
Old 09-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Starting Out in Chess (Everyman Chess) by Byron Jacobs is the best beginner's book.

Naturally this opinion is totally objective.

The Silman and Seirawan books are pretty good too.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:27 PM

For a total beginner, I highly recommend Chess For Juniors . Don't let the title deter you - it's written for older kids. I got it for my kids, and ended up reading it myself.

Pasta
Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 PM

I agree, the Seirawan books are definitely good. Silman is *fantastic* for more of a beginning intermediate player.

It's never too early to start tactical training--you can pick up a book of exercises ("Combination Challenge" by Hall is a beginning intermediate level, maybe "1001 Winning Chess Sacrificies and Combinations" by Reinfeld for more of a beginner). The Seirawan book on tactics is an excellent introduction, and might be a good way to prepare for the straight diagram challenges.

You'll see a lot of his work at the bookstore, I would say that in general I don't find books by Bruce Pandolfini (of "Searching for Bobby Fischer" fame) to be particularly helpful, although they certainly aren't terrible.

"Comprehensive Chess Course" by Alburt is a very, well, comprehensive introduction. The first two volumes will really help you develop your visualization skills and lay a strong foundation for further development. The other volumes in the series are great introductions to their topics but may be a little incomplete by themselves.

Hope that helps!

John
Old 09-11-2005, 01:25 AM

thanks all
Old 09-11-2005, 08:53 AM

I've played chess tournaments on and off for several years and I have about 200 chess books in my library. I don't recommend the overrated Winning Chess... series, especially Winning Chess Openings. If you can find it, get The Game of Chess by Tarrasch, and anything by Irving Chernev or Eugene Znosko-Borovsky. More than any others, I would recommend Logical Chess: Move by Move by Chernev. You should also pick up a used copy of Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, which will teach you some elementary tactics. I'd advise against reading anything by Silman until you've achieved a USCF rating of around 1500.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:37 AM

I should add that I have some chess books, tabletop chess computers, and Excalibur chess bags with rollup board and triple-weighted pieces, that I might be willing to trade for some poker books or plastic cards.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:16 AM

What about a book for someone that doesn't even know the rules yet.... a true first timer's book?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about a book for someone that doesn't even know the rules yet.... a true first timer's book?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... I don' know, maybe try scrolling up this thread about five posts (jeezus, I'm starting to sound like jakethebake. ack!).