Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: New Poker Tracker Autorater Rules

i dont like the VPIP number 23 as being just about the only number this is going by, in my oppinion there is a very large difference in a player who sees 24% of flops and a player who sees 74%
Old 09-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Getting the "where you want to be" by your rules and not by Bisonbison's, I choose yours for self-confidence [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Good job!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...wins at showdown between about 50 & 57% of the time, is probably a good postflop player.

[/ QUOTE ]

A player who wins at showdown on the high end of that range probably isn't nearly aggressive enough on the river.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Like I said, I'm being generous in the ranges in the interest of creating a "cookie cutter" type rating system that will function within the 14 categories allowed by PT. You could definitely narrow down the Won $ at Showdown numbers further...52-56% would probably be better, but you'd get a ton of false readings on opponents with a sample size less than a thousand hand or so.

Incidentally, that is a drawback to this rating system vs. BisonBison's: you need larger samples on your opponents before you can get a somewhat accurate read, as it takes longer for W$atSD to firm up than postflop aggression. I meant to include that in the original post.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I think autorating is a waste of time and energy and a poor substitute for experience and numerical intuition.

I just thought it was strange that you thought a LHE player who won 57% of showdowns was likely to play well after the flop.

scrub
Old 09-03-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I think autorating is a waste of time and energy and a poor substitute for experience and numerical intuition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you have the rules set up (which took me about 15 minutes after several days of off & on thought during free time), it requires no effort & only as much time as it takes PT to run the calculations.

Autorate is no substitute for accurate, individual reads & proper play based on pot odds & perceived equity. But when you're playing 4 or more tables at a time, it's next to impossible to get individual reads, and with enough experience judging the latter parts should be reflexive. The autorate icon just gives you a quick "note" on what type of player your opponent is, allowing you to make your decisions in marginal situations all that much faster.

Unless you're 1-tabling, I would say that not using the autorater has the effect of handicapping yourself every time you sit down at the table.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:38 PM

I can't imagine that actually looking at the raw PT data on a HUD is much of a handicap.

scrub
Old 09-03-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine that actually looking at the raw PT data on a HUD is much of a handicap.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. I no longer auto rate as we have far better tools available to us since the release of the various HUDs that we all use. I would suspect thousands of people use Bison's auto rate settings, and quite a lot use mine as well (my other nick is DRIVETT if you can't figure that out). Funny that neither Bison nor myself actually use the auto rate feature of PokerTracker however, take it for what it is, but I think that tells you something about auto rate's true worth.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2005, 09:55 PM

Adding an icon to a player's stats isn't much of a handicap, either. It's one way of encapsulating a lot of information into one unit. In contrast, no one gets all worked up for specific information when a player is called a donkey.

I don't think anyone is using just the auto-rate icons to judge a player. It's just another thing to play with and use. Hey, it can be fun, too.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:19 PM

Bison created these as a joke.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:24 PM

These look great, and I'm glad they finally fixed the ridiculously broad range given to VPIP and PFR. How about posting them in a form that we can import to PT?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:17 AM

Looks great -- I'd love to try it out. Got a .txt file available, yet?