Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Why Aggresion is Good (even when it doesnt work)

Blinds are 50/100 and I have 3100. Opponent and I have some history as we have played two pots together recently. I reraised him from the BB when I had AQ. He called and pushed when I bet the K high flop. He showed KQ when I folded. Later he minraised my BB. I called and led the flop he raised and showed AA.

I'm in LP with KQ. He raises to 300, with 2900 behind and I make it 750 to go. He calls. Flop is AJx. He checks and I bet 800 into the 1650 pot, he pushes and I fold. He shows AK. So, I reraised with a dominated hand, lost half my stack, and afterwards I think about what a nice little play I made.

Preflop I'm risking 750 to win 450. Granted I think he very rarely folds. At the same time, He probably doesn't have AA and my interpretation of what I'd seen was that he probably doesnt push anything besides AA/KK and maybe maybe QQ/AK. I can still fold preflop. He calls that means A10/AJ and up, and 99 and up and KQ. At worst there are two cards in the deck that cause me to lose my stack (if he has AQ/AK). If he has two big cards I will win the pot 70% of the time when I bet the flop. If he has a PP JJ and down, I will win the pot often when he check folds to an overcard (regardless of whether it is mine). Turns out he has AK and its the 30% of the time he hits (but not one of the 2 cards that bust me). Ahh, the benefits of aggression, beautifully juxtaposed against the dangers of playing so predictably that your hand range is readily apparent. Incidently, 76s is probably better to make this play with than KQ, but LAGs cant be choosers.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Why Aggresion is Good (even when it doesnt work)

I was railbirding you for a while. The guys bets were way too obvious. I swear I could sense you drooling over his money just waiting for you chance.

Last hand looked good to me too as I'm sure you already know. Tough break.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in LP with KQ. He raises to 300, with 2900 behind and I make it 750 to go. He calls. Flop is AJx. He checks and I bet 800 into the 1650 pot, he pushes and I fold. He shows AK. So, I reraised with a dominated hand, lost half my stack, and afterwards I think about what a nice little play I made.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not check behind? you're just as likely to get c/r'ed on the turn as you are on the flop, and that would my biggest fear betting into someone who has recently been very aggressive. I check this flop
Old 09-03-2005, 01:46 AM

Yeah, I see where you're going with it on literally any other flop except that exact one.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:51 AM

A fair criticism. That might be literally the one flop that calls for me to check behind and hope to hit my hand. I suppose im concerned with how QQ/1010/KQ react on the turn. I don't want them betting into me. But weighing that against the chance to bust all those Aces, or a set of Js, its probably right.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:10 AM

Nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh, the benefits of aggression, beautifully juxtaposed against the dangers of playing so predictably that your hand range is readily apparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

And of course, against many opponents, your aggressiveness creates this predictability. Often that's how people react to aggressiveness - they become too tight and readable (that is - they play scared).
Old 09-03-2005, 04:19 AM

Note may not be 100% sober.

Im not in love with preflop. Many times people will shove it all in with hands like TT JJ 99 etc and that is just bad. No one folds to the raise. I understand that raising more creates a pot committed problem, but I really just prefer either calling or folding preflop. In addition, you are assuming someone with a hand like AK or 22 will not continue unless they improve on the flop, but that is not always the case given the opposition in these tournaments.

-Jason
Old 09-03-2005, 04:45 AM

I think that while MLG's actions themselves, PF and post, are debatable, the point he makes is general and in a way it is more imprtant than the specifics here (which is a rare thing for posted hand). MLG's hand is XX, and he's playing it because he has control over his opponent. KQ might not be the best hand for this actually, and this might not be the best spot for some reason, and the flop might actually be checked behind etc, but the main thing is being able to get away or take down a pot with maximum gain, minimum loss most of the time.

Thinking about it a bit more, I agree that MLG could probably find better examples for this idea, rather than this somewhat marginal hand/situation. (Edit: although "marginal" is the name of the game he's talking about...)
Old 09-03-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Many times people will shove it all in with hands like TT JJ 99 etc and that is just bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this guy.

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, you are assuming someone with a hand like AK or 22 will not continue unless they improve on the flop, but that is not always the case given the opposition in these tournaments

[/ QUOTE ]

It was with this guy.

In a way that's the point. I was very comfortable with my read of the situation against this specific opponent, which is the only reason I would make this play. In most situations with this hand againt a raise from that position with these stack sizes Im folding.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:31 AM

That is a very advanced play that people should not use without a very strong read, like you had with your opponent. Nice play, sorry it didn't work out.