Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: 99

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop every time. It seems like a very easy fold to me, am I missing something? Playing for set value against 4 players in a capped pot. You need to make up ~26SB when you hit. And since we have a raise, 3-bet and a cap already the chances that someone hits a bigger set is larger.

Calling the river seems fine to me. If your read on MP2 really is fish (LP) betting would be pretty bad IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick I am confussed on the making up 26sb part. Hero is getting 5/1 on his pre flop call how does he have to make up 26sb?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lets assume UTG calls 50% of the time, then the odds we're getting to call is 16.5:4. The odds against making a set is 1:7.5 and the chance of hitting it and that it holds up about 1:10. Important to notice is that 16.5:4 isn't the same thing as 4.25:1. You need to make a lot of more bets postflop getting 16.5:4. To calculate how many bets you need to make multiply 1:10 with 4 (the number of bets you need to put in the pot). You get 4:40. Then substract 16.5 from 40 and you get 23.5. You need to make 23.5SB postflop when you hit your set. 26SB was a pretty quick estimation from my part, and not a very accurate one.

To put these numbers in some kind of context the final pot you win need to be:
16.5SB + 4SB = 20.5SB (preflop)
23.5SB + ~8SB = 31.5 (postflop)
Total: 52SB

On 3/6 which I usually play that would equal 156$. I know this is a poor comparision, but the biggest pot I've ever won was 161$, 2nd biggest 146$. I find it hard to assume a average pot on 156$ just because of heavy preflop aggression.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That you are still 3 headed on the river just makes this even more obvious; you only have to be ahead more than 1/3 to make this profitable. Do you seriously think you are behind here more than a third of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're making things too simple. If UTG+1 holds a hand like AQ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] you need to be ahead about 60% of the time to bet.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 AM

Yes. and IMO you are ahead here 90%+ of the time.

jvs
Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 AM

Let me overgeneralize here.

When I flop a set, and no reasonable draws come in, I am capping every. single. street. Especially if I still have 2nd set by the river. If this is a leak, it certainly isn't my biggest one.

jvs
Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, if you think you are good on the turn, what has changed for the river? if you cap the turn, your hand hasn't changed since the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't cap the turn. I think a lot changes when a fishy player caps the turn after I capped the flop and lead/3-bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate the term fish and playing fishy. Some use "playing fishy" for a player that are playing strange in some kind of way (maybe at random). I assume the opponent is loose/passive. In that case I think you should only check/call the river
Old 08-23-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop every time. It seems like a very easy fold to me, am I missing something? Playing for set value against 4 players in a capped pot. You need to make up ~26SB when you hit. And since we have a raise, 3-bet and a cap already the chances that someone hits a bigger set is larger.

Calling the river seems fine to me. If your read on MP2 really is fish (LP) betting would be pretty bad IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick I am confussed on the making up 26sb part. Hero is getting 5/1 on his pre flop call how does he have to make up 26sb?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lets assume UTG calls 50% of the time, then the odds we're getting to call is 16.5:4. The odds against making a set is 1:7.5 and the chance of hitting it and that it holds up about 1:10. Important to notice is that 16.5:4 isn't the same thing as 4.25:1. You need to make a lot of more bets postflop getting 16.5:4. To calculate how many bets you need to make multiply 1:10 with 4 (the number of bets you need to put in the pot). You get 4:40. Then substract 16.5 from 40 and you get 23.5. You need to make 23.5SB postflop when you hit your set. 26SB was a pretty quick estimation from my part, and not a very accurate one.

16.5SB + 4SB = 20.5SB (preflop)
23.5SB + ~8SB = 31.5 (postflop)
Total: 52SB

On 3/6 which I usually play that would equal 156$. I know this is a poor comparision, but the biggest pot I've ever won was 161$, 2nd biggest 146$. I find it hard to assume a average pot on 156$ just because of heavy preflop aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am figuring UTG poster and BB are folding and everyone else is calling. Crunchy is in the SB 1/2 bet blind structure. 17.5/3.5 on the call and how did you come up with 10/1? I agree there are times he hits his set and still loses just wanting to know how you came up with this number.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, if you think you are good on the turn, what has changed for the river? if you cap the turn, your hand hasn't changed since the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't cap the turn. I think a lot changes when a fishy player caps the turn after I capped the flop and lead/3-bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate the term fish and playing fishy. Some use "playing fishy" for a player that are playing strange in some kind of way (maybe at random). I assume the opponent is loose/passive. In that case I think you should only check/call the river

[/ QUOTE ]
I use the two interchangeably. In this case you are correct - I was referring to loose/passive play.

?? - I thought we referred to players that play strange as "DONKS"?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your reasoning on pf?

[/ QUOTE ]
TILT! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 AM

I missed the poster and somehow forgot about the SB. It should look like this (assuing UTG+1 calls every time):

Lets assume UTG calls 100% of the time, then the odds we're getting to call is 18.5:3.5. The odds against making a set is 1:7.5 and the chance of hitting it and that it holds up about 1:10. Important to notice is that 18.5:3.5 isn't the same thing as 5.3:1. You need to make a lot of more bets postflop getting 18.5:3.5. To calculate how many bets you need to make multiply 1:10 with 3.5 (the number of bets you need to put in the pot). You get 3.5:35. Then substract 18.5 from 35 and you get 16.5. You need to make 16.5SB postflop when you hit your set.

18.5SB + 4SB = 22.5SB (preflop)
16.5SB + ~6SB = 22.5 (postflop)
Total: 45SB

The 1:10 number is a number someone came up with (Sklansky?) that have been accepted for estimating how often a set holds up. Given the previous raise, 3-bet, cap it should probably be a little higher for this hand as the risk of hitting and losing is greater.

Even though I missed some crucial information I think the preflop call is pretty slim, but might be correct.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
?? - I thought we referred to players that play strange as "DONKS"?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've definately been away from this forum too long...