Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 08:03 AM

Default 99

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (20.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls $4.50 (All-In), Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (36.62 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 39.62 BB

2 Villians on the river are FISH over small samples (&lt;50 hands); CO (All-In guy) was LAGGISH and I didn't put a lot of stock in his PF cap.

Looking for PF and River comments - I think the flop/turn are pretty straightforward.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: 99

Pre-flop, looks remarkably similar to this hand. So I'd say the same thing that I did there.

River, I think I'd bet-call. A5 and 56 don't make any sense, so you effectively have the 2nd nuts. Maybe I'd worry more if MP2 is passive enough to specifically put him on JJ... but otherwise, it would suck to have this checked through on the river. I think you're good for 2 bets here if necessary.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 AM

I fold this preflop every time. It seems like a very easy fold to me, am I missing something? Playing for set value against 4 players in a capped pot. You need to make up ~26SB when you hit. And since we have a raise, 3-bet and a cap already the chances that someone hits a bigger set is larger.

Calling the river seems fine to me. If your read on MP2 really is fish (LP) betting would be pretty bad IMO.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop every time. It seems like a very easy fold to me, am I missing something? Playing for set value against 4 players in a capped pot. You need to make up ~26SB when you hit. And since we have a raise, 3-bet and a cap already the chances that someone hits a bigger set is larger.

Calling the river seems fine to me. If your read on MP2 really is fish (LP) betting would be pretty bad IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick I am confussed on the making up 26sb part. Hero is getting 5/1 on his pre flop call how does he have to make up 26sb?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 AM

Fold preflop, cap river.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, cap river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:49 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, cap river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with the fold preflop unless i am against uberLAG/Maniacal types, and even then it may not matter. long run with all of that pf action i could not see a consistently profitable call here. also, if you think you are good on the turn, what has changed for the river? if you cap the turn, your hand hasn't changed since the turn; that is if someone is playing cards that hit the straight, well, you can't assume you are against such an atypical player. JJ is a possibility, however rare, and so if you think you are against this slow down on the turn(seems kind of weak though). it seems that you became content with the pot size, or scared of something.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, if you think you are good on the turn, what has changed for the river? if you cap the turn, your hand hasn't changed since the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't cap the turn. I think a lot changes when a fishy player caps the turn after I capped the flop and lead/3-bet the turn.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, cap river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are almost always playing for only set outs preflop. Once you have 2nd set, I don't think you can ever assume you are behind top set; if you aren't willing to shove all your chips in with 2nd set, why play 99 for set value in the first place?

That you are still 3 headed on the river just makes this even more obvious; you only have to be ahead more than 1/3 to make this profitable. Do you seriously think you are behind here more than a third of the time?

jvs
Old 08-23-2005, 10:04 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

oh, you did not cap you 3-bet, sorry. okay. i see why you slowed down. so now i just hate the preflop. what is your reasoning on pf? the opponents?