Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-19-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: $22 hand, second nuts on the river

[ QUOTE ]
yeah...i honestly can't back up my first statement - entirely. in principal i'm fairly certain you have THEE hand. but on most occasion i DO accept 'the out' on the river raisings, aware of what the true nut is. there is absolutely nothing wrong with simply calling the reraise - certainly a prudent thing to do. but i guess an argument could be made that the +$$ you get the far majority of the time, more than compensates for the -$$ when he "nuts" you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, there has been NO betting up to the river. I mean, these guys are idiots, but even the biggest idiot can see a rivered 3-flush. I'm confident enough in my ability against these donkeys that I'm okay with just calling the re-raise. If I missed out on a few chips, that's okay, because the times where I don't bust out, I can come back and still win the tournament.

I really think that even after the last re-raise, the correct thing to do is just call.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:52 PM

I agree with a lot of the late assesment in general, but still don't over-estimate the abiility at the $10+1 level. Three flush on board, even with runner-runner, and oftentimes this betting patten can still be someone who hit a set on the turn, two pair on the turn + river, or any flush at all.

But I still say to push this river to the second re-raise every time, i think we're pot committed here after we re-raised the first time. Mostly because I don't want to play this out, crippled this early in level two.

Just calling the first re-raise is an option for sure, but at this point in the hand I'm going to push every time if I'm still on the $10+1.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I still say to push this river to the second re-raise every time, i think we're pot committed here after we re-raised the first time. Mostly because I don't want to play this out, crippled this early in level two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like this way of thinking. You would have t440 if you called. That's almost 15 BBs! You can't just give up at that point. You're situation would not even be desperate.

You guys have to stop making plays simply because you convince yourself that you're pot committed or that you can't come back if you get down to 15 BBs in level two. I mean, if you think that there's a reasonable chance that you're beaten, respect Gambler's Ruin and just call here. Everything about this hand says that he's trying to bait you to push. Coming back from t440 in level two is not out of the question AT ALL.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Wow, 6 people said push and not one of them are saying what four raises mean besides 'hey, maybe he has AA'.

I just call the 110 reraise, never mind the fourth one. These people may be dumb (as the river bet proves) but they're generally not totally suicidal. Generally. (Sure, you run into the occasional idiot with two pair - just not enough to be good the 50% of the time you need to push instead of call.)
Old 08-19-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, 6 people said push and not one of them are saying what four raises mean besides 'hey, maybe he has AA'.

I just call the 110 reraise, never mind the fourth one. These people may be dumb (as the river bet proves) but they're generally not totally suicidal. Generally. (Sure, you run into the occasional idiot with two pair - just not enough to be good the 50% of the time you need to push instead of call.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more concerned with the pansy raise to 205. I'd make it 400 or maybe even a push. But yeah, I agree you need to call the rerereminminraise.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Just my thoughts on the subject...
Don't like the mini reraise to 205 after he reraise your 70 to 110...I think with the 2nd nuts in that situation you obviously thought you had the best hand, and wanted more money, so his raise was advantagous to you. But by raising to 205, you put yourself in a position to be outplayed. You are now thinking if he has the hand better than yours, and this hand would also be the nuts...is he really betting out 15 with the nuts in this situation, especially when a Q and a J are out there as well as a weak straight on the turn? And if your are worried about the reraises, well what if he was playing a weaker flush than yours? In that situation you sort of got "outplayed" by a weaker flush by getting you to call instead of pushing with a smallish stack. I'm definitely still learning, but one thing I have noticed is that when blinds are small LOTS of players decide to play their lower suited connectors because its cheap to play. Of course Ax suited fits this situation as well, but I say if you play a Kx suited and you make a flush and the person playing with you has a small stack like yours, you must simply decide that you outdrew him and push. Just my opinion...