Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-18-2005, 09:03 PM

Default LAG hand I guess

5/10 6-handed. 28/12 (on the loose side of TAG, but probably a winning player) UTG limps with 1030 behind, one fold, I make it 50 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 1040 behind in CO, folded to UTG who calls. I think this is pretty early in the session, but I have some hands on UTG, so he may know a bit about my playing style (tight and very aggressive).

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 115 in the pot.

UTG checks, I bet 85, he calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 285 in the pot.

UTG checks, I bet 180, he minraises to 360, I push for a little over 500 more.

I figure he would have raised AK, KK, QQ UTG for sure, so I'm only afraid of 22 and KQ, both of which may be a raise UTG as well. Limp-calling with a weak K seems a bit out of place for this guy, and he may fold a weak K anyway.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: LAG hand I guess

[ QUOTE ]
and he may fold a weak K anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]no.

Furthermore, this is either you've decided your hand is good and go for the push or you should fold. This is not a bluffing hand. I don't mind checking turn.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 PM

I agree with capt. Why are you betting this turn? That bet seems like a mistake.

He is drawing to very few outs or you are drawing dead.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 PM

What kind of preflop raiser pushes without AK or QQ in that spot? Only a dumb one, and I don't have a reputation of being dumb yet (I usually don't get caught with my dumb moves). A good player is going to find it pretty hard to call.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What kind of preflop raiser pushes without AK or QQ in that spot? Only a dumb one, and I don't have a reputation of being dumb yet (I usually don't get caught with my dumb moves). A good player is going to find it pretty hard to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but what do you put him on though? Would this opp. lay down KJ/T? This seems like an expensive way to find out if you are beat. If he is making a move because he doesn't think you have a K, reraising is only going to get him to fold, but you want him to keep betting cause your AQ is certainly good. If he has a lock, you just lost a lot more money than you should have. This move only works if he has a King and will lay it down, a large part of the time he has many other hands, making this move probably less optimal than others given his range of hands. Do you disagree?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 PM

its better to bluff when you need to bluff to win. try to use the value that your hand has when it has value, and your hand here certainly does, but not when you play it like you did.

here, you have a decent, not tremendously vulnerable hand in position in a heads up pot and you played it in such a way as to almost guarentee that his worse hands, the ones you want to play against, will fold. you have also minimized the probability of him bluffing at the pot.

aggression is all well and good but pot control and inducing bluffs are good things too.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:57 AM

I see what you're saying. Do you prefer checking through the turn and getting one bet in on the river?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but what do you put him on though? Would this opp. lay down KJ/T? This seems like an expensive way to find out if you are beat. If he is making a move because he doesn't think you have a K, reraising is only going to get him to fold, but you want him to keep betting cause your AQ is certainly good. If he has a lock, you just lost a lot more money than you should have. This move only works if he has a King and will lay it down, a large part of the time he has many other hands, making this move probably less optimal than others given his range of hands. Do you disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with AZK and cwl.

Your turn bet would be "fine" if you were holding a LAG raising hand like T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], for no pair no draw.

As it is, you have showdown value, so plan to show it down.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:36 AM

Check turn, only JT you're giving real outs to, but pot control and inducing bluff is far more valueable
Old 08-19-2005, 09:11 AM

Im gonna be pretty surprised if our Hero posts the results and villain doesnt have at least 3 kings. You didnt mention how aggressive the guy is, but do you guys see many turn check-minraises that are bluffs? TJ is the only semi-bluffing hand out there, which seems unlikely anyway, but you'd think if he wanted to represent a king and get Hero to fold, he'd put in a real raise.