FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
No 28 38.36%
Yes 45 61.64%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Best Evil Dead?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm deeply disturbed that so many 2+2ers are so unsophisticated.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't know you had to be so cultured so sophisticated to enjoy a B movie...
Old 08-16-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ED2 is one of my top 3 movies of all time. It's completely original, psychological, cerebral, and funny as hell.

ED1 is just a standard zombie/slasher flick. Not too much new going on here.

AOD is the biggest PoS I've ever seen. There are few movies more dissapointing than this one. While ED2 draws on Campbell's natural quirkyness and brilliant physical comedy, AOD really just degrades into dumb slapstick humor. I'm deeply disturbed that so many 2+2ers are so unsophisticated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Campbell's memoir, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B movie Actor.

He describes Raimi's thoughts on "shemping" - what you call slapstick. Also, ED1 is full of innovative directing techniques (camera on a sled for all those "approaching evil" shots, floor cutouts, etc.). Not to mention the Classic.

It's a fun read for any Campbell/Raimi fan.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AOD is the biggest PoS I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not ignoring anyone yet, but keep posting that kind of stuff and you will make it to the top of a very short list.

<font color="white">Kidding obviously - but I thought that flick had some GREAT one liners </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

"The biggest" is an overstatement. The Avengers and Independence Day are certainly worse. I felt physically ill during both of those movies.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ED2 is one of my top 3 movies of all time. It's completely original, psychological, cerebral, and funny as hell.

ED1 is just a standard zombie/slasher flick. Not too much new going on here.

AOD is the biggest PoS I've ever seen. There are few movies more dissapointing than this one. While ED2 draws on Campbell's natural quirkyness and brilliant physical comedy, AOD really just degrades into dumb slapstick humor. I'm deeply disturbed that so many 2+2ers are so unsophisticated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Campbell's memoir, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B movie Actor.

He describes Raimi's thoughts on "shemping" - what you call slapstick. Also, ED1 is full of innovative directing techniques (camera on a sled for all those "approaching evil" shots, floor cutouts, etc.). Not to mention the Classic.

It's a fun read for any Campbell/Raimi fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about the techniques developed in ED1. He was doing a lot with very little (budget-wise) there.

ED2 just goes to new levels. It is self-conscious and campy without being completely over the top. It's scary but not preoccupied with making the viewer afraid. ED1 is an Ok movie, but ED2 takes all kinds of chances. And all of them pay off. Regardless of AoD, Raimi's direction is +EV for any movie.

I'll check out that booo, too. Thanks for the HU.

Marlow
Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ED2 just goes to new levels. It is self-conscious and campy without being completely over the top. It's scary but not preoccupied with making the viewer afraid. ED1 is an Ok movie, but ED2 takes all kinds of chances. And all of them pay off. Regardless of AoD, Raimi's direction is +EV for any movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very much agree, well said. That's what I wasn't articulate enough to say.

Any fans of Bruce Campbell, check out Bubba Ho-Tep if you have the chance. It's interesting to say the least.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bubba Ho-Tep

[/ QUOTE ]

Campbell as Elvis... classic.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought 2 and 3 were both too over the top and campy, and didn't work for me as either comedy or horror. Whereas the first one scared the crap out of me like no movie has since.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first, while easily the best horror film of the three (and one of the best low-budget horror films ever) was a very derivative movie in terms of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big horror fan, and think of this movie as fairly original, as far as movies go. Its main theme comes from Lovecraft, whose themes didn't show up much in horror movies until Evil Dead came out -- and then it was everywhere.

The "Old Dark House" type stories preceding it were basically ghost stories, or else the houses were inhabited by monsters or evil people that simply killed off lonely travelers directly. They lacked the paranoia factor that was key to Evil Dead 1 and a big part of its scariness, because it wasn't your best friend or the love of your life who was going to kill you -- or look like they were going to kill you, then like they weren't, then back again, then ... and it wasn't YOU who was going to kill your lover and best friends, either, whether as some sort of monster you turned into or just to protect yourself. Evil was a force from outside the group. Evil was somewhat static; it could kill you, or scare you or drive you mad, but generally not infest you. That's much less scary and a different type of movie.

I'm trying to think of old movies that really remind me of Evil Dead 1's paradigm and I can't.

But I sure have seen tons of movies and t.v. using Lovecraft-type themes after.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AOD is the biggest PoS I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not ignoring anyone yet, but keep posting that kind of stuff and you will make it to the top of a very short list.

<font color="white">Kidding obviously - but I thought that flick had some GREAT one liners </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree that the post jackdaniels responded to was wildly off the mark.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very much agree, well said. That's what I wasn't articulate enough to say.

Any fans of Bruce Campbell, check out Bubba Ho-Tep if you have the chance. It's interesting to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was ever any movie you couldn't possibly call NOT over the top, Evil Dead 2 was certainly it.

That was a big part of the fun. Don't tell me the extended sequences of Bruce fighting his own hand while it smashes plates against his head wasn't completely over the top. I thought I was going to die laughing, but hell, if that's not over the top, then Michael Jackson is both quite ordinary and obviously heterosexual. And I bet O.J. is going to catch that killer any time now!