Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: BillyJex is a punk

I was quite surprised.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was quite surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am wondering if that was "read-specific" (i.e. did he do that precisely because MLG was at the table?)
Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering if that was "read-specific" (i.e. did he do that precisely because MLG was at the table?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he must have put him on 64o and thought he could trap him. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 04:08 AM

The more i think about this hand, the more i don't like how i played it. Tt obviously worked out but i'll go through my thoughts..

A big part of the reason why I didn't reraise was MLG limping & the CO limping (who I had no read on.) I decided that 1) I didn't want to play a big pot OOP if I didn't want to and have to deal w/ an A/K/Q flop against an aggressive player. I also figured if I flopped a set or an overpair it was well hidden (by raising from the BB, I also knew MLG would be able to narrow my hand range pretty solidly.)

Basically, I wanted to get away from the hand easily. I was sitting pretty with 30xbb or so and didn't want to go broke if the flop was ugly.

Of course, one thing I didn't consider was that MLG is raising pretty much any 2 decent cards here. His limp actually seems like serious weakness and any hand w/ A/K/Q he would raise. I didn't really think about that.

The flop was pretty good for me, but my thinking was slightly flawed again. Once MLG bet, I figured him for mostly air, maybe 44, 66, a big heart (which of course now I realize isn't possible. He'd raise PF.) I figured my hand was strong enough to take it down right now abd cut off his odds if he had a big heart. I think in some ways I was risking too much for too little when most of the time a hand that will call me will be a set or a small flush since MLG's limp PF was probably some weak cards.

On the previous hand, we were at another table but amazingly in the some position against each other. CO limped, MLG (button) limped, and I checked the BB w/ Q9o. Flop was A Q 5, two clubs. Checked to MLG and he bet and I knew both him and the CO didn't have an A because of their limps and as long as they didn't have 55 I would take it down. After we got moved I told MLG what I had, not figuring we'd meet up again in the same position.

Funny how in that hand I considered MLG's range to be pretty weak because of his limp but I gave his range too much credit in the big hand.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Big Stack - Styles and Table Image

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesnt the fact that I'm chip leader (and that even if i lose im still top 10 in chips) argue for calling not folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my thoughts on this:

You have 'big stack' status now, so I wouldn't take coin-flip type chances on letting that go away. You can be patiently aggressive and still win chips without enduring large risks. You can still play your 64o in position and win a lot of small pots, but I think you need to fold when they play back at you unless you have the goods - because sometimes you will have the goods and you will bust them.

Also, as others have said - most players will not want to engage with the big stack unless they either have the goods themselves or think that they can get the big stack to laydown a good percentage of the time.

Maybe this is a stylistic difference in our play - but with the big stack I like to wait for my opportunities, and if I don't get them then I will play 64o and I'll play it aggressively - but I'll also want to protect my big stack status. Of course if you wait too long, then you'll lose your Q (ratio of your stack to the average stack) - so patience is a fine line.

Let me also say that stylistically, I like to play with a very TAG image - so that when I do play a hand my opponents generally respect my holdings and I rely a lot on FE to win pots. With a LAG image - I think you get players playing back at you a lot more often, so yes - you'll probably need to call more often than a TAG would when they do play back at you.

Any other thoughts on this?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM

Like the old song said, "You Gotta Have Heart!"

No Heart=Fold

Billy had 6h7h? Right?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Big Stack - Styles and Table Image

Generally I agree that you don't want to take close gambles if it will impact your big stack status, and you can just keep keep winning small pots. In this case though I was firmly of the belief that even if I lost I'd still have more than enough chips to consider myself a big stack. In those situations I will take gambles knowing that I can build my chips back up even if I lose. Which is exactly what happened, I pretty much nibbled and small potted my way back up to 90k over the next 45 mins.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I wanted to get away from the hand easily. I was sitting pretty with 30xbb or so and didn't want to go broke if the flop was ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I will limp 3/4 or so of hands here.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, one thing I didn't consider was that MLG is raising pretty much any 2 decent cards here. His limp actually seems like serious weakness and any hand w/ A/K/Q he would raise. I didn't really think about that

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record I will limp small suited As, some suited Ks and a bunch of other stuff here, my raising range isn't quite as large as you make it out to be. This is because I felt I had pushed the table pretty hard preflop and they were ready to stop rolling over, so I planned to push it postflop instead.

[ QUOTE ]
I think in some ways I was risking too much for too little when most of the time a hand that will call me will be a set or a small flush since MLG's limp PF was probably some weak cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're pretty right here. I would lead this flop and push if raised, you are risking the same amount but winning more when you get a fold. I'll raise you with a variety of hands, and you will very rarely be crushed.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:28 PM

Yeah - that is really a judgment decision, so I'll trust your judgment on that.

Good job in the tourney BTW.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 PM

Another reason I really like this play is the image it creates. Most people turn VERY timid after they see you make a play like this. Not only do you have the big stack, but you're also willing to risk a decent portion of that stack even when you're likely a little behind.