Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many more starts before he gets a win?
3 (@ Tex) 5 10.87%
4 (??) 4 8.70%
much more (please specify) 5 10.87%
2 (SF) 19 41.30%
1 (@ Fla) 13 28.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Marijuana and Poker

All over party and skins, you'll see people with herb-related handles, such as stickyDANK, t3hKiNd, or Greenie420.

Do you get high before saddling up for a poker session?

How does marijuana use affect one's play?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Marijuana and Poker

There should be an option that says "I smoked pot one time, and played but it made me play so weak that I will never do it again. Booze EV > Pot EV

I could be wrong, but I believe that Phrozenfish is a stoner.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:27 AM

If you happen to be searching for some justification, rationalization, or tacit approval for smoking pot and playing poker, I'd say you'll find it here on 2+2 as long as you tell us what table you're at.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:06 AM

I play drunk a lot. I am up well over $1k in my life while doing so too. Most of it is getting lucky in MTTs. One time I made it to the final table with half the chips in play while 10 beers deep (playing ultra LAG style) only to have the cops come and accost me because my roomates were listening to Journey too loud in my apartment. I was blinded out and finished 5th for $750 while they questioned me and gave me a citation (why this took over an hour is beyond me). I have played high twice... don't think it affected my play as much as the alcohol though.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There should be an option that says "I smoked pot one time, and played but it made me play so weak that I will never do it again. Booze EV > Pot EV

I could be wrong, but I believe that Phrozenfish is a stoner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha... I think I am too weak-tight when stoned but too LAG when drunk.

Solution:
Play drunk while in MTTs.
Play stoned in low limit NL and PLO cash games (nutpeddling).
Old 08-13-2005, 02:10 AM

I don't regularly do this, but on occasion I end up being high at the table, online or live. I actually don't mind it - I tend to operate much more on instinct, which can be fine (they often seem accurate, too). The math is so second nature that I don't have too much trouble with it.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
only to have the cops come and accost me because my roomates were listening to Journey too loud in my apartment.

[/ QUOTE ]
why did you let them in!! Get "surviving the drug war" its a great book
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 AM

I voted No, and "I smoke regularly and win >2bb"

Regularly is not the same as frequently. Haley's comet is regular, rain is frequent (most places).

Personally I smoke once a week, when playing a BS home games that doesn't matter. I usually crush em (but that might be because we're all stoned and more about looking into people's souls than playing optimal three or four handed NL).

My roommate is a stoner, and I think he's a slight winner overall, doesn't really play much online though.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:27 PM

i sometimes play 1-2nl at foxwoods, and sometmes get stoned. usually o.k, except a few months ago, i A10, flop AA10, i'm BB, check the flop, checks around, i bet the turn, one call, i bet the river, some sap raises, and i just call trrying to get him on "the river". i was so stoned, i forgot about the flop check (and i guess was so keyed on nailing him on the river that i neglected to see five cards on the board)and thought the river was still to come. He had AK, and i could have taken him to the cleaners. That was some good sheet.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:08 PM

You're correct about the semantics. My bad.

Reason I ask is I have two friends who will smoke frequently WHILE playing. One is a successful 4 tabling SNG player, while another is a better-than-average ring player who is mistake-prone. The former claims "it keeps it interesting".

Also, at the local cardroom I sometimes frequent, you'll walk outside for a breather during the break sessions and herb smoke will waft from a couple different groups. Usually you can take advantage of these stoners as they often seem befuddled or distracted.