Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: More job advice - salary negotiations

Just so I'm not a "nit" I'll tell you this. The key is convincing them that it's in their best interest to give you a raise without threatening them. Of course that is also like shrinking all of SSH into a few paragraphs.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:55 AM

Seriously dude, just look for another job.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you be so street smart and so dumb at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy, this is the internet, I read the thread and totally forgot about it.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously dude, just look for another job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found another job, I'm just trying not to get raped on my way out the door. This is a very desirable position for me if I can get over there with the salary relatively intact.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM

You're taking job advice from a bunch of college kids that have never had a job, let alone had to support themselves?

nice.

Anyway, it is not very uncommon to see a place take the opportunity of an opening to cut cost. This happens everyday. You are not in a union, you are a free agent.

You need to decide what you would accept the job for, not what someone else could or did make in the position.

Weight the responsibility and/or chances for advancement against the pay, and make your desicion.

In the real world, it is not very uncommon to sit directly next to someone, doing the exact same job, for drastically different pay.

To me and from the tone of your original post, it sounds like you are suffering from either a bit of low morale, or are just simply getting a little burnout. Taking the new position for higher pay will go a long ways towards the morale issue (and you need it to if you are going to supervise people). The new position may help the burnout temporarily, but if you are really burning out in this job, it will only be a temporary solution.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:42 AM

If you accept the $1000 decrease without a struggle, it will be obvious that you'll go lower. Tell them you need to think about it and then put them off (letting them believe, if they choose, that you might have another iron in the fire). Avoid a yes/no situation. Essentially, stand firm on the original offer and either a) accept the $1000 decrease when it's officially on the table, or b) hold out for the original offer. Don't accept the $1000 hit before that's your official offer and expect that's all they'll try and do, because you'll have shown that you're flexible and they will need to push you to find out how flexible.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:54 AM

I don't know what industry you work in, but I take it that a grand is a significant percentage.

You stated that you made a deal with the guy that's gonna be your new boss. Then some other guy came in and took a grand of your pay. WTF?

Go to your new boss. Look him in the eyes and tell him what happened. I don't see how he can NOT get you the amount that was originally promised to you.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:54 PM

I think this is good advice. Does it not strike anyone that this is one of the great side effects of playing poker? You need to decide how much bluff you have. Are you bluffing that you're willing to forego the job w/o the extra 1k or not. You need to decided and negotiate from there.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First off, I think nit is the most massively misused word in this forum. Does anyone here that uses the word actually know what it means?

Here, let me help you

[/ QUOTE ]

Arguing about the definition of the word nit is very nittish behavior [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I still can't believe he didn't get the book after all this time though.

As far as the job goes though if he definitely had an offer and agreement at a certain salary there is no way i would take a dime less than that offer.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just so I'm not a "nit" I'll tell you this. The key is convincing them that it's in their best interest to give you a raise without threatening them. Of course that is also like shrinking all of SSH into a few paragraphs.

[/ QUOTE ]

this book is just another tawdry perversion of how to win friends and influence people.

give dale your money, not some blue blooded hacks.

fim