Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: I Still Can\'t Do It : 77 UTG

Very nice post. I can relate to much of what you have said.

I especially like your insight here:

[ QUOTE ]
Instead, I find myself rethinking the math and trying to find a way where I can be justified in calling here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I do this a lot more than I should.

Having said that, you're getting about 15:1 for your call.

You can improve to a nut boat.

You can also improve to a straight.

Is your read so solid on this guy that you can totally know that your straight will lose 100% of the time?

Adam
Old 08-04-2005, 05:36 PM

As Sklansky says choosing the right decision here has nothing to do with being a sucessful limit hold'em player
Old 08-04-2005, 05:56 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I had one of these a few days ago. I flopped top pair and I knew the guy flopped a set when he c/r the flop. I married it, turned 2 pair and called him out like a little bitch so I could see exactly what I thought he had.

It really does irk me to pay it off when I know better. It sucks.

b
Old 08-04-2005, 06:20 PM

This and tilt are by far my biggest leaks.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM

I use to think just like this and thank god I don't think like this anymore.

The only thing wrong with this hand is how weakly you played it on the flop. I bet that flop, let them raise and then take it from there.

Close to 12 BB on the turn with perhaps 2 clean outs and 8 not so clean outs so if we weigh that down roughly inside my head (I'm not using any calculators since I'd have to do this live and it's good practice) I'd say I'd have 5 outs to be conservative which makes calling the turn a no-brainer.

I tell you something bro, I can't sleep at night when I fold hands like these on the turn to any sort of player (tight or otherwise.) Why, because I hate losing 1 BB or in this case possibly 2 BB, in a 12-15 BB pot. I don't care if the game is 4-8 or 80-160. I just don't. Pot size will dictate my decision and though I've really learned to isolate my reads down to the 90th percentile mark, it still doesn't warrant a fold here in this case.

I've had many better nights of sleep because I was willing to play stronger and sacrifice a potential BB here and there knowing quite well that I was fooked. If I lost so be it, and there were a good number of times I did to such cases where the guy did have a FH or worse quads, but I think back to all those times when the guy didn't and I won and I think back to those times and I feel good about myself. Those are the times you need to think about and not think about whether or not it's gonna cost you 1 or 2 BB. Think about "I think there's a good chance I might be able to win this pot" I know I always do now.

My two cents bro.

Lawrence
Old 08-04-2005, 06:48 PM

I'm dealt 7 7 UTG and raise.

This is fine, alone as it is.

I've been doing a lot of opening in the past few hours and some of the players are starting to notice.

Add this to it and you are headed for a disaster in such a game. A limp might turn some heads..

As for the turn:

I can't imagine getting 15:1 that this is a big enough error to beat yourself up about. Your call here can't even matter too much really I would think.

You are beating yourslef up over not trusting your read and sometimes the math clouds the poker in you.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:59 PM

77 UTG raise? What are you looking for like 3 others players to come along, that's not good. Either people are running real good or I'm not nearly hitting as many sets as I should be because 77 UTG from my stats in 6 max is breakeven and in full ring games is not even that
Old 08-04-2005, 07:01 PM

There are tons of situations where you know the right play and then you make it, right? So what's so special about this situation, that makes you "know" the right play and still not do it?

The answer is simple: in this case the decision actually IS close. And you could be making a very big mistake if your read is off.

When you really know that a play is wrong and make it anyway, you are costing yourself money. But I think this is actually an error of not being sure the play is wrong. For instance, in your quick math at the table, did you really figure out exactly how sure you need to be of your read to make folding correct? And then did you compare that to your actual certainty? Because what I'm reading between your lines is that you aren't THAT confident in your read, despite your claims to the contrary.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I flopped top pair and I knew the guy flopped a set when he c/r the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can tell when someone has a set because they c/r the flop??
Old 08-04-2005, 07:21 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I flopped top pair and I knew the guy flopped a set when he c/r the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can tell when someone has a set because they c/r the flop??

[/ QUOTE ]

This particular player, yes. No, it's not my default read by any means. Just in that instance.

b