Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-02-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Ummmm...flopped a full house!?!?!?!

Party Poker .5/$1 NL full ring

Opponent in this hand plays a lot of hands preflop (30%) and raises about 1 out of every 5 he plays. He's also very aggressive postflop. He's got $160 and I have him covered. He open min raises UTG to $2. Three call in MP to me, I call with black 99, and the BB also calls. 6 to the flop $12 in the middle.

The flop:
Q Q Q

UTG leads out for $15 and all fold to me. I think and call. The BB folds.

The turn is a low brick like a 3. UTG pushes. Action's on me.

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Ummmm...flopped a full house!?!?!?!

Easy fold. Maybe he does not have a queen, but he most certainly has you drawing dead. The flop call is marginal IMO, depending on exactly how post-flop aggrssive he is. Would he lead into a field there with AK/AJ?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold. Maybe he does not have a queen, but he most certainly has you drawing dead. The flop call is marginal IMO, depending on exactly how post-flop aggrssive he is. Would he lead into a field there with AK/AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't minraise in EP often mean a small PP? It could be AA or KK, but why would he play it that way? He knows a Q is going to call and that's the only hand that could beat him because no one else has AA or KK. This looks like a small PP who isn't sure he has the best hand pushing hard to get all the bigger PPs out. I think I call here.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM

call, he's got a low/mid-PP...and doesn't expect/want a call.

i might have thought about throwing a raise on the flop, but playing this passive against an aggro player is probably best.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:16 PM

Why not raise preflop. With that many callers, yuo need to flop a set, however against a loose raiser, reraise to isolate. Makes the hand easier, and if he had a low pp he woulda check called you down.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:17 PM

He may have the best hand but I'm not really sure. I actually like raising the flop for information. I don't want to play for my whole stack in this type of situation. Plenty of people do miniraises with big pocket pairs. you see it all the time.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:21 PM

I don't like raise because if the BB has a hand then I've lost more money. Also, I don't like raise because then if I get reraised by the UTG, now I have a tough decision. I guess if you are committed to putting all your chips in no matter what, then it doesn't matter, but still I don't raise here because BB is still to act.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 PM

The more I think about this the more egregious my error seems.

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't minraise in EP often mean a small PP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding. I agree. When someone makes a raise like that that's immediatle the range I start with.

[ QUOTE ]
call, he's got a low/mid-PP...and doesn't expect/want a call.

i might have thought about throwing a raise on the flop, but playing this passive against an aggro player is probably best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the call on the flop because of the player (as you said), it still looks scary (or it should), and it keeps me out of too much trouble if the BB comes to life. Once the BB folded in the hand, I felt good until the villain moved in. And Party puts you under the clock pretty fast so I folded. The reason I folded is so bad is embarrassing. I'm running bad and had a good win going. Yuck.

Anyway, it's just a math question. I really believe that his range of hands is any Pocket Pair. I think being the kind of player he is he raises bigger almost all the time with AA-10 10, I think he raises like this most often with 99-66, and I think he limps most often with 55-22. If I run the numbers (and I don't have the stomach) I think it's a clear call.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:33 PM

I feel like in general the minraise in EP is usually the sign of a PP below TT. People make pretty standard raises most of the time with AA-TT. Anyone loose enough to minraise a PP in EP will put a full bet in with JJ or TT. So you can be pretty comfortable unless this guy likes to minraise any PP from AA to 66 in EP, you have the best hand here.

I think flop/turn play cements that fact.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:09 PM

I just saw a guy on Party miniraise out of the BB with aces and two limpers and the SB in the pot already. Crazier things have happened.

And I think that your comment about being up for the session and not wanting to lose it is not so bad. That's probably the way you should always play. Unless you feel pretty comfortable that you're in a good situation, why not just fold. Even if you think you might have a slight edge, plenty of times you won't. If you're iffy about a call, then you're probably not in that great of a spot.