Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Bottom 2 Makes me Sick (occasionally)

I dont think calling his raise is incorrect seeing as how an aggressive player will do this with hands like AQ, KQ, which is nice for you. I can also see a play like this being made with a hand like A10 clubs. I would like to have some sort of read on who's raising me but nonetheless I wouldn't just give up on 2 pr on the flop because of a little resistance. However, your hand is certainly not strong enough, w/o a read, to reraise so I would call his raise check the turn and see what he throws out. Read his bet and do what your instincts tell u, prolly to fold. Theres still plenty of time to regain the chips lost.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 PM

I hate checking. First, a free card is killer here. Second, if EP bets you still have no idea where you stand. Calling doesn't make the turn easier to play then because it looks like you're on a draw so EP will bet worse made hands again. At the same time you can't rule out him being on a draw, since many draws will bet here, so you won't really be able to bluff a scare card to make a better made hand fold. If an LP player bets you have to raise to isolate and protect against draws, but then what? Its easy for him to have like any 2. So he'll fold his bluffs and either call or push with his made hands or draws. If he calls then he can just sit and take this pot away from you on the turn and river since there are so many scare cards. Maybe you can fold if he pushes, but there are all sorts of hands you're about even with that will push here. I don't like checking at all.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:54 PM

I put him on KQ ,KJ,QJ, AT...none with 2 clubs.

edit:missed QT,TJ, 9T

I think I call the flop raise.

I check/raise all in on a club turn, lead out if I fill up.

Probably check/fold on a T,K or 8 (unless its a club)

If it blanks and he bets strongly, I probably c/r all in.

If he puts a bet out there that looks like it wants a call I throw something at the screen.

Meh, none of those are great, he may call a check/raise allin on turn if a club falls and he has one...tough spot.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 PM

only 6 or 7 draws? You are ignoring all sorts of combo hands and made hands that will raise here. hands like Q10, J10, A10 (with or without clubs) 1010, KQ, AQ, slowplayed AA, 78 of clubs.

Unless you included 13 out hands in the hands that beat us. I don't think you should though because they are barely ahead of us now.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:03 PM

Why would you put your tourney life at stake when all you have is bottom 2 pr on a scary board, and a flush turn? Especially if he bets strongly? what happened to the saying "never go broke in an unraised pot?"
Old 08-01-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what happened to the saying "never go broke in an unraised pot?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a stupid cliche, that's what happened. Although I do happen to agree that check-raising the turn if a club hits is too wreckless.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I do happen to agree that check-raising the turn if a club hits is too wreckless

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that remark.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-01-2005, 09:11 PM

yeah, you need to get this cr all-in bluff when the other guy's draw hits out of your arsenal.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:17 PM

I would lump all these hands with the harrington 10%.
I don't like villain's raise without a club, unless he's planning on making a move, which is tough on this board.

My own tight style won't accomodate villain raising with AQ here with so many chips behind. The kind of player who plays these hands is going to be able to put you to some difficult questions at the turn if a brick comes.

Without a better feel for the player, so early in the tournament, I would call the turn, represent the flush, and fold to any push.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:17 PM

What % of the time do you think he's raising 2 clubs here?

edited for clarity: what % of the time that you see this flop raise is it 2 clubs (with or without the straight draw)

Regards,
Woodguy