Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-26-2005, 01:12 PM

Default AKo All-In Question

This is my first post in MTT. I'm also relatively new to tournaments. My regular game is in 5/10 6-max.

It is from a Party $150 buy-in I played last night and I'm posting this from memory.

It started with a field of about 1000 and now it's down to something like 230. I think 120th and better get paid.

I'm not exactly sure what the blinds are at this point but I think it's 100/200 (or may be 150/300, not sure if this will factor into your responses).

I believe the average chip count was ~4500 and I have ~3200.
This hand is between me and the big blind who also happens to be one of the big stacks at the table with ~7500. I have no read on the big blind because he just moved from a different table.

It's folded around to me, 2 away from the button, and I raise to 600 holding AKo. I remember thinking to myself, "OK, I'm gonna make a more than 2x BB raise", so the blinds must have been 100/200. If the blinds were at 150/300, what do you think about the 600 raise? It's an All-In if the blinds were 150/300, correct?

Everyone else folds to the big blind who goes All-In. I called instantly. I will post the result later, but I would appreciate your analysis and what goes thru your mind when you're facing this type of situation. What I mean by "this type of situation" is the kind where you're not quite desperate yet, but you're forced to make an All-In decision holding a good hand.

Right after I called, I thought to myself, if I was gonna call an All-In, I should've gone All-In in the first place... But my stack was about 15x BB and even though I was behind the average chip count, I was still in good shape.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: AKo All-In Question

I dont think getting all of your money in preflop with AK and 15xBB can ever be considered a very bad thing.

I like the standard raise PF with AK. It looks like any other steal/raise, so BB may play back at you with a hand you dominate.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:42 PM

first off, you do know that you have this hand history on your computer, or you should set up your party account to do so. This will save you from using memory in the future.

With AKo at this stage of things and your position I would not make any raise less than 3BB. 2BB is just too risky of a call from people you don't wan't calling.

I don't necessarily agree that it is an automatic All-in if the blinds were 150/300. You would start hand with almost 11BBs so you can still raise 3BBs and reevaluate based on reads and players ahead of you if they reraise.

Well, if you were going to call an AI I agree with your analysis it would have been better to push all in to begin with. The reason I would not necessarily push all in with 11 to 15 BBs is if the flop misses me I could be a very big dog the rest of the hand and I can get away from it.

If you were planning to call the AI you have to be the first to push them into the middle. Just remember you don't need to have a hand to raise, but you should have one to reraise, or call an All In.

It would be tough but I might lay this down to an all-in that knocks me out from an unkown player at my table.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first post in MTT. I'm also relatively new to tournaments. My regular game is in 5/10 6-max.

It is from a Party $150 buy-in I played last night and I'm posting this from memory.

It started with a field of about 1000 and now it's down to something like 230. I think 120th and better get paid.

I'm not exactly sure what the blinds are at this point but I think it's 100/200 (or may be 150/300, not sure if this will factor into your responses).

I believe the average chip count was ~4500 and I have ~3200.
This hand is between me and the big blind who also happens to be one of the big stacks at the table with ~7500. I have no read on the big blind because he just moved from a different table.

It's folded around to me, 2 away from the button, and I raise to 600 holding AKo. I remember thinking to myself, "OK, I'm gonna make a more than 2x BB raise", so the blinds must have been 100/200. If the blinds were at 150/300, what do you think about the 600 raise? It's an All-In if the blinds were 150/300, correct?

Everyone else folds to the big blind who goes All-In. I called instantly. I will post the result later, but I would appreciate your analysis and what goes thru your mind when you're facing this type of situation. What I mean by "this type of situation" is the kind where you're not quite desperate yet, but you're forced to make an All-In decision holding a good hand.

Right after I called, I thought to myself, if I was gonna call an All-In, I should've gone All-In in the first place... But my stack was about 15x BB and even though I was behind the average chip count, I was still in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it fine. People near the money try to steal and chances are you have the best hand. If you had 16 BBs then you don't need to open push. Definatly never min raise. In fact, sometimes I like to just call here and hope someone raises at me (totally depends on my table read, I only do this if I'm really sure it'll get raised back to me and/or it'll be heads up). If he had raised back at you, i'd come back at him all in.

You got your money in with likely the best hand, you have to do this around the bubble if you're trying to play for the final table.

edit: I guess this isn't quite the bubble, but it's late enough in the tourney that I still think it's a fine move.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:16 PM

Well played. You can't fold AK here...ever...(ok, i lie, but almost never). If he has any hand other than AA/KK, you have to call.

Open-pushing for 15BB is a bit excessive. In fact, I'd much rather raise it 3BB hoping a blind sees it as a steal since you're on the button. Some ppl defend blinds w/ a HUGE range of hands, especially any Ax. I'd much rather hope to induce a blind into overplaying his hand while you're a big favorite than simply pushing. You're much more likely to get action from worse hands this way.

Again, well played.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It would be tough but I might lay this down to an all-in that knocks me out from an unkown player at my table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to self....Find JC_Saves...resteal....change screen name...repeat
Old 07-26-2005, 02:35 PM

With your stack size/situation here, my only goal is to get all of my money in. With the BB being a big stack, his range of hands to come over you should be *very* wide, if not he is not much of a player. I think you played it perfect, if you are not willing to get it in the middle vs a big stack while holding AK, you are playing extremely weak-tight.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 PM

I think your stack was 10.67 X BB (not 15)--I think your 3BB bet was a bit small, but I think that was what drew your opponent's all in (as opposed to AA or KK). Your call seems good to me. Hope it worked out!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:23 PM

i think with a hand like this where you are succeptable to an all in reraise, before you even make the raise you have to think "okay, am i willing to push all my chips in with this hand" ... the right line is definetly yes because you are a big underdog to only two hands

id guess the BB has a low - medium pocket pair and hopes that you have two high cards so that you might think about folding something like KQ, but even if you call with AK, hes still got a good chance to up his stack a lot
Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your stack was 10.67 X BB (not 15)--I think your 3BB bet was a bit small, but I think that was what drew your opponent's all in (as opposed to AA or KK). Your call seems good to me. Hope it worked out!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, his stack was 3200, BB was 200, so 16xBB.

3xBB is not a small raise, it is standard, and even on the higher side at that.