Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Isolating a TAG

If you are going to isolate the TAG with the specific intention of making him fold, aim to do it with your worst hands, like 32o.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to isolate the TAG with the specific intention of making him fold, aim to do it with your worst hands, like 32o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question - Is this a joke?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are taking this isolation thing too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you. i thought i was taking crazy pills.

and since i'm new here, i didn't have the balls to say anything.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

A2o, huh? like any other commonly-used term, TAG is used so often by players of various levels of experience that your definition of a "TAG" might be relatively different than that of another player with either more or less understanding of the game. if you have had success isolating "TAG"-type players in the past i would reexamine those hands and compare the probable factors that led to the success. regardless, it sounds like you are essentially trying to steal the pot. the key to this being a profitable play(if it is at all, but that goes back to the subjectivity of your use of the word TAG)is to know when you are beat and release the hand(i.e. the turn). spiking that A was probably one of the worst cards for you as it gave you a reason to hang on. also, have you been doing this often enough that the alleged TAG might have been observant enough to notice? maybe he just thought, "hey i'm in this hand with this calling station that does some occasional stealing, i can value bet until the cows come home." [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] seriously though, he is not worried about AK which is a reasonable holding for a PFR so either he thinks you are full of sh*t(because you have been over-using the play?) or he has two pair beat(his turn bet seems to be hoping for a raise IMO). either way you seem to be in a less than profitable situation.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the type of player they are and the range of hands that this type of player will limp in EP - I find it easy to steal a lot of pots on the flop/turn when my isolation is successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, talk about reverse tilt. Fold preflop.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 PM

I'd put him on ATs or AJo in this situation and that action
after betting out turn.

If he is a 6% raiser those are probable hands.
If he is 8%+ then he'll raise'em preflop.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was almost positive that I was ahead with top pair on the flop. The turn stop'n'go was confusing to say the least. I feel sick reviewing this hand and looking at my call down. Comment/Discuss/Berate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess. UTG+1 had ATo or AJo. I don't like this isolation raise as his limping hands from EP may well dominate your Ace-rag offsuit hand. I would just fold pre-flop.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been finding success in isolating TAG-type players who limp in EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

w/ A2o... no, stop
Old 07-26-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to isolate the TAG with the specific intention of making her fold, aim to do it with your worst hands, like 32o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question - Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey sorry I didn't get to finish the post when I started it. Yes I am being serious. Not saying that making your opponent fold is often a correct strategy, but if it is your goal to do this, doing it with 32o gives you the best chance to make him fold. For one, it gives the best opporunity for scare cards to come up that will cause the tight player to fold. It is also extremely unlikely that you will hit a hand that you may think is good (like top pair, no kicker), or one that actually is good but you have to fold because of pressure. Overall, the only way for you to win here is by bluffing, so you are wasting the least value from any mediocre hand. This isn't a play I would make or recommend making, but if your outset from the start is to get her to fold, then your worst hands are the best for this, because you are sacrificing the least. More comments expected and welcome.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing about your plan makes sense to me. You isolated a good player with a bad hand and then take an approach designed to pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure people are giving crunchy enough credit for recognizing a good situation. If a predictable tag limps, he's not going to have a power hand and he's not going to chase it too hard after the flop. If you can successfully isolate this tag, it's probably a profitable situation regardless of the cards you hold. I don't think this play is very advisable at Party 2/4 because someone is pretty much always going to call your raise and rain on your parade. However, the only information I have is that Crunchy iso-raised and it worked. So I have to assume he correctly assessed the various factors and picked one of the rare situations where he could get away with it.

I think his play after the flop could be improved. But I'll take heads up, in position, with the lead, and against a tag who doesn't really like his hand all day long - with pretty much any 2 cards.