Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Hangin with Kristy Gazes

Beginning of a WPT Borgata sat on full tilt. Kristy Gazes is at my table, and I just finished telling her about when we played together at the beginning of the WSOP. She says, you play well, so those are our mutual reads.

I limp 22 for 30 UTG, folds to Kristy in LP who min raises. BB minreraises and immediately gets labeled dipshit. I call and kristy calls. Blinds started at 15/30 and we all have 2k when the hand started and there's now 270 in the pot. Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Dipshit checks and I bet 200. Kristy calls, dipshit folds. Turn is the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

What are some hand ranges for Kristy and what should my action be. Also, if you have a problem with anything up to this point in the hand feel free to fire away.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Hangin with Kristy Gazes

My range would be a small to middle pair, or a ATs-KQs type of hand. Looks like she is trying to build a bigger pot with a hand she has the equity edge (and position)in.

Both would be consistent with her call, especially if the high cards are clubs, and/or she knows this flop could have missed you completely and it wont stop you from firing at it.

** Tiger gaming has a step type STT set up for the borgata satelites as well. The structure is pretty slow, and the play at least up the 2xx$ level is pretty weak.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 PM

I could be way off, but the only conceivable hands I could see solid pros minraising are midpairs...trying to build a pot in case they set up.

So, either she has a set and is slowplaying you...or I'd say maybe 6s or 8s.

Either way, I don't see you being ahead here very often at all.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 PM

far be it from me to critique someone at your level but here's my $0.02 anyway:

a) i hate limping in EP with those tiny pairs because of the very situation you've presented so i probably would have folded preflop even though the blinds are so low at this stage. that being said

b) i think you've played the flop well. you made a good sized bet to gain information but haven't overcommitted yourself. the problem is kristy's flat call hasn't told you much and you're out of position.

without any further reads, i'd probably put her on a medium pocket pair rather than just 2 big cards ... that's not such a good flop for 2 big cards so I would think she'd make a play on the flop in order to you get you to fold or gain a free card on the turn. on the other hand, that's a pretty good flop for a medium pair -- she either has trips or a straight draw -- so she probably figures she's got the best hand and/or draw and can afford to slowplay against you.

i think you have to shut down on the turn - i wouldn't want to get too invested this early with an underpair.
just my $0.02.

EDIT: p.s. as someone who has spent some time with her, I'd trust your opinion on this: am I wrong to think Kristy is kinda sexy?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:16 PM

Whats the idea of the flop bet Mike? You think you can take the pot right there, or you plan to take it if a scary card came.
My range for KG is 66 or 88
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 PM

If I think she has an overpair, but could be pushed off with a check/raise repping a 9 I probably do that.

I don't lead here, because if she calls, I'm check/folding the river unles a magic 2 comes.

If she has an overpair and you lead she may raise to see where she's at, and I have to fold fhere too (or she may raise w/ air to see if you're for real)

So I really don't like a lead.

I c/r all-in or check fold.

This early I don't like to get too fancy, and as weak as it sounds I don't mind the check/fold, as I believe leading here just bleeds chips, but It will get your probe bets called later, which can be good and bad.

If I check and she checks behind, she's probably calling a river bet unless a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] comes off, or the board pairs again and you bet a goodly amount, so if the river blanks I probably check/fold or check/call depending on how much she bets and how much I am willing to spend to see her hand.

edit: of course the problem w/ c/r all in is the times she has a set or decides to call with her overpair, which is another reason why check/fold is ok and not too weak.

I hate being out of position.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 PM

I agree with woodguy that I'm not putting in any more chips, and I would add that 110% of the reason you limp with 22 at level 1 is to flop a cheap set, and the remaining -10% is the chance for FPS.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:05 AM

I think the chances of her playing an overpair like this preflop and on the flop are approximately 0.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:07 AM

I expected to take the pot down on the flop, or be raised by pretty much any made hand or good draw. I was suprised that I was flat called, and basically planned to give up on almost all turn cards. The 9 in my mind was an excellent card for me though.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you've played the flop well. you made a good sized bet to gain information but haven't overcommitted yourself. the problem is kristy's flat call hasn't told you much and you're out of position

[/ QUOTE ]

I think her flat call tells me quite a bit. Almost all made hands will raise this very draw heavy flop, as well a good deal of strong draws. I think he call tells my quite reliably that she has a very mediocre hand.