Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Did I cheat?

At my local B&M there is a an old lady who is much awaited in the 6/12 games. Very bad player, will call you down with any pair.

She sat on my left and after a while I realized I could see her cards. Normally I would have said something, but for some inexplicable reason I didn't. Instead I started to check her cards every chance I could get. I don't bring sunglasses to the table.

Finally a good player on my right called out, "Elaine" (not her real name) "protect your cards, you've played long enough to know that". She shot back some smart ass comment, and I turned beet red.

Afterwards the guy said to me, sorry man, but it wasn't fair for me to get free information the rest of the table wasn't privy to. The morale of my story is, he was right, and I ended up looking like an ass. I haven't seen the guy since, but when I do, I'm going to probably turn red all over again from embarrasment.

I didn't need to see her cards to win at that game and I'd be pissed if other players were seeing her cards and I wasn't. I don't want a reputation as an angle shooter. People who say they'd always use this information are getting too close to that line. I'll always give someone a warning first, unless they are complete a-holes.

P.S. raise the flop, and bet bigger on the turn, and read TOP. You are charging him for his draw, and I can't see him laying it down, even if you laid your cards face up on the table. With a bigger pot you might have gotten an all-in on the river out of him.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump for constructive crticism

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldve reraised the flop and potted the turn. But if there was a decent chance he would bluff off all his chips and double you up, your line wasnt bad. On the end, your stack wasnt really big enough for him to play back at your min raise, but I like the idea.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. raise the flop, and bet bigger on the turn, and read TOP. You are charging him for his draw, and I can't see him laying it down, even if you laid your cards face up on the table. With a bigger pot you might have gotten an all-in on the river out of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

given that the op knows villain's cards, this is the easiest hand to play in the world

calling on the flop? wow....
Old 07-20-2005, 09:39 PM

poker has been described many times as a war. maybe i am way off here, but i don't think you have to warn anybody to cover their cards. i would go directly after a guy who keeps flashing me his cards, the same way i would use a tell if i picked it up, i am going to use this and whatever other small advantages i can against you. this game is about small edges and the more i get, the better. having an ace up your sleeve is cheating, taking an advantage where an advantage is given (IMO) is not.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Default No you did\'nt cheat, but...

Why show your cards after driving him off his bluff? Unless you are trying to get everyone at the table to think you are a donkey and/ or put the table coach on tilt, then you should have taken the money and gone on to the next hand.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker has been described many times as a war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Business has also many times been described as a war, in both cases the analogy is greatly flawed. In war, you don't seek to have customers return every day and put more cash in your pocket.

In poker, your opponents have the fair expectation of a level playing field. If you abuse this expectation liberally, sooner or later you will find yourself hosting a war that no-one wants to attend.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In poker, your opponents have the fair expectation of a level playing field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying if I notice an obvious tell that I should announce it to the table so their a level playing field? In poker, the playing field is never level. Some players are just better than others. Soem can spot tells and exploit them mercilessly. Of course, the rules need to be enforced, but stupidity does not break any rule of which I am aware. The only thing every player has in common is that each recognizes they are GAMBLING and might lose their bankroll. I admire your sentiment, but it is somewhat naive.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:25 PM

Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the same way i would use a tell if i picked it up,

[/ QUOTE ]
anyone at the table can pick up a tell, but only those sitting next to the newb can see his/her hole cards. It's unfair b/c the information is NOT available to everyone. The tell is available to everyone - but some people just won't pick up on it.