Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 07-21-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

What do you have against weed?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:34 PM

I wouldn't play with an 11 year old at the table.

I wouldn't play with a 15 year old at the table.

And I'm not sure if I'd play with a 17 year old at the table.

For me it's just a question of maturity and I find the majority (not all!) of teenagers are lacking. If I'm going to play in a home game I want the players there to be able to behave like grown ups and if that means tossing out the occasional 20 or 30 year old that acts like a child then so be it. And in the case of an 11 year old I just can't see how they'd have enough of a grasp of the game to be able to keep the game running smoothly, although I may be underestimating what an 11 year old can do.

Anyone under the age of 20 or so would really have to prove themselves to me before they'd get a seat in my game.

T
Old 07-21-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you have against weed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh God, here we go.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play with an 11 year old at the table.

I wouldn't play with a 15 year old at the table.

And I'm not sure if I'd play with a 17 year old at the table.

For me it's just a question of maturity and I find the majority (not all!) of teenagers are lacking. If I'm going to play in a home game I want the players there to be able to behave like grown ups and if that means tossing out the occasional 20 or 30 year old that acts like a child then so be it. And in the case of an 11 year old I just can't see how they'd have enough of a grasp of the game to be able to keep the game running smoothly, although I may be underestimating what an 11 year old can do.

Anyone under the age of 20 or so would really have to prove themselves to me before they'd get a seat in my game.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

/agree
Old 07-21-2005, 06:50 PM

A friend of mine brought his son (16) to one of my tournaments. He busted out second to last, was a good sport, had a great time, and wants to return. He fit in pretty well, so he is invited back. However, we haven't seen him for a while.

I played poker with my dad and his friends a few times in my early teens and remember having a lot of fun and lifelong memories to go with it.

I really think it should have more to do with maturity than age. I don't really want to see a 40 year old crying in the corner either after taking his money (Mike Matasow is not invited to my home game). Look more at maturity than age.

It really has to do with everyones comfort level. If the 11 year old is a bad player, he will figure it out pretty quick and not return. If you are not worried about police, I say, let him play. He probably won't be back as loosing is not much fun. If he is a good player and returns, discuss it with your group and go from there.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:50 PM

I strongly disagree with the last 2 posts..about not playing with inpaticular a 15 year old, I myself am 15 years old and conduct myself at the table alot better than people double my age...I am turning 16 in september and have only ran into this problem once(probably dont run into this problem cuz i am good, and conduct myself well) the time i ran into the problem is at this "allentown poker coaltion" i was in the final 4 of a 36 man tourny...i was establishing aggresiveness with this guy frank who usually holds the tournaments at his house well i was raising all his bets because of a certain tell i had on him...he starts getting mad i take him out and end up finishing in 2nd place next month rolls around and im suddenly not allowed to play because he feels uncomfortable playing with me, i found this fishy but none-theless, ive been playing about 5 times a week with adults which all complement me for my skill in playing and that i act older than i am and have been invited back to all the home games where adults regualarly play now given that backround would u consider me being a 15-16 year old young-adult play at your home-games or would you still be prejudice against the younger players, i would not want to play with you if you were going to play diffrently because i am also trying to improve my game
Old 07-21-2005, 06:56 PM

Well put. The 12 year old I referred to in my post was near tears when he lost his 10 dollar buy in. His mother fronted it from his allowance and he had no allowance for a week. I''m all for that. There's a big difference between 17 and 12. I would have no problem playing with a 17 year old. In my post I stated that the player needs to be at the age where they can emotionally handle the ups and downs of the game. 16 or 17 seems like a reasonable age to me depending on the maturity of the player.
BTW, This is an interesting post
Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 PM

FWIW,

When I was that age, my parents didn't let me sit in on the game, though I was allowed to play an occasional hand when one of them was refreshing drinks, getting snacks, etc. Though I was playing, I was still expected to be respectful, call the other guests "Mr" or "Mrs", etc.

More than one or two hands, and it probably would have changed the complexion of the game -- less fun for adults when they have to watch themselves against kids.

However, when we did family blackjack games, any kid who could count to 21 was welcome -- Actually, my mom tells of one of her mortifying moments in school, when at a parent's night for my then 6 yo sister, the teacher said that she was excellent at math, and could do the problems very quickly, but the teacher was confused when she asked sis to ad 7 and 15, and her answer was "Too Many".
Old 07-21-2005, 10:48 PM

Some parent needs smacked upside the head.

Screw them if they don't like your stand.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 PM

"poker night is really a "guys night" "

One of the many reasons the dad should get a shoe upside the noggin'