Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 07-20-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Sheikhan/Matusow penalties, WSOP ME.

I had a chance to speak with Ken Lambert today about the Sheikhan/Matusow penalties at the WSOP. For those of you that don't know the situation here's the quote from Pokerwire on what happened.

"Shawn Sheikhan made a comment during a hand in progress and Mike Matusow told him to "STFU". When Jack Eiffel, the tournament director, came over to resolve the problem, Shawn Sheikham repeated Matusow's comment verbatim. Because the camera's were rolling when he repeated the comment, both players were given a ten minute penalty."

Pokerwire was way off base. Sheikham was not penalised for repeating what Matasow said. He was penalised for slamming his hands on the table and screaming out what Matasow said. According to TDA rules, "A penalty MAY be invoked if a player exposes any card with action pending, if a card(s) goes off the table, if softplay occurs, or similar incidents take place. Penalties WILL be invoked in cases of abuse, disruptive behavior, or similar incidents. I don't think there's any doubt that the way he presented his case was disruptive. If he had just repeated what Matasow had said he wouldv'e been fine.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Sheikhan/Matusow penalties, WSOP ME.

I do recall reading elsewhere that Sheikhan had slammed his hand on the table. What about the day before when he had made a dealer cry, a penalty was threatened then as well and then goes to the dealer to apologize. I don't think he ever got a penalty for that act.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM

You are correct about the reason for the penalty (well, I guess that was obvious because you heard it from Ken Lambert).

I was a few feet away during the entire extended incident. Matusow had been ragging on Sheikhan prior to the explosion, but in his goofy, Matusow way - nothing mean, really. After Sheikhan folded preflop, he slammed the table and started bitching to spectators when he saw the flop, most likely because he would've hit his hand. Matusow said, “We’re in a hand, why don’t you shut the f*** up.”

Then Sheikhan went off, yelling at Matusow, "What did you say Mike? What did you say, Mike?"

When Jack Effel came over to referee, Sheikhan yelled what Matusow had said - they could probably hear it at the Nugget. That is when the two got a penalty.

On top of all that, Sheikhan was abusive to Effel when he came back from penalty. He kept staring Effel down, saying, "You're doing a great job, Jack, a great job." Stuff like that, obviously sarcastically.

Sheikhan is a Grade A jackass. You know you're an asshat when everyone in the room sides with Mike Matusow.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 PM

I wasn't there so I can't answer for any of the other things that happened. Sounds like this guy is a real piece of [censored].
Old 07-20-2005, 01:52 PM

Ken mentioned that part also.