Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Leak in my game?

To the extent this has been discussed before, I apologize, I did a quick search, and didn't see anything recent on the subject.

One of my big time problem hands to play is JJ.

Had the following situation in a $1/2 NL Bricks and Morter($100 buy in). Very Loose game. But it is typical of a problem I seem to have.

Basic structure of game, blinds are $1/2, but the basic betting unit after that is $5 or multiples thereof

I'm dealt JJ on the button. 6 callers, so pot is $15.

I raise to $20, to either close down the pot or hopefully limit myself to one player.

All fold but 1.

Flop is something like T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 : [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian checks, I bet $25, Villian calls.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian checks, Hero bets $50 (all in), Villian calls.

This, or a similar fact pattern has arisin a number of times. Basically, I suspect I'm playing this hand wrong somewhere.

In previous games, I've taken down the pot pre-flop, taken down the pot after the flop, won huge pots where Villian had TPTK, won nice size pots, where villian overplayed a draw, lost moderate to large pots where a scare card hits the board and I'm beaten, and gotten crunched where Villian either had a set or called with crap and hit two pair.

My problem is that in this kind of loose game, I'm often not getting a read on the player, and mostly am either winning smallish to medium sized pots (which is ok) or getting crunched.

So, my question, is what's the best line on how to play JJ or TT, for that matter, where there are no overcards, and no obvious straight or flush that opp has.

Was my betting horrid, or are the occasional massacres I'm taking part of normal variation.