Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Default I fall for the Triple

Anyone play this differently on any street?

When I called the flop CR, I was planning on raising any turn FWIW.

Opponents-
UTG is 28/25/1.46 over 500+. He is going to showdown with pretty much anything and playing aggressively on the flop. I also think he is taking shots at me as I have been having a poor session- raising a lot preflop and not getting to showdown. In sum, I have a crappy image and people are pushing back at me, specifically him.

MP is 44/15 over 50+ hands, he is passive and not messing around. folds when he doesnt connect with the flop, not too much chasing that i have seen.

The Hand: UTG raises, MP calls, Hero 3bets on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], SB folds, BB calls, UTG caps, all call...

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero bets, BB folds, UTG raises, MP calls, Hero calls...

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks(!), MP checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, MP calls, Hero calls...

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks(!!), MP checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, MP folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.5 BB.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: I fall for the Triple

check the river
Old 07-15-2005, 10:31 PM

With MP in there I just 3-bet the flop.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 PM

It looks like utg is playing you like a fiddle. He keeps c/r because he knows you can't take your foot off the gas pedal. Just a thought.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:55 PM

I get very, very suspicious after a c/r on a complete brick on the turn and start thinking showdown as cheaply as possible.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:03 AM

Most of the thoughts put down here so far were running through my head after he CRed the turn.

But if he has a set of Qs or Ks, why is he getting so tricky in a 3way pot? More importantly, why is he trying to raise the third guy out of the pot and get HU with me?

What range of hands does he put me on that would 3bet preflop, bet the flop when checked to and then bet the turn when checked to?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:08 AM

His play doesn't make alot of sense, especially given your poor table image and the fact that you've been folding hands postflop...he has no assurances that you will bet again, and his checkraises are meant to show strength...they aren't pot-building moves since he's facing MP with 2 cold each time.

I think he's pushing an underpair to the K here quite often, or maybe AQ. A set wouldn't want to play it this way because he knows you can fold. I bet the river and fall for it again.

I like 3betting the flop more because MP is in there, but since our opponent is so very aggressive I'd much rather call and wait for him to bet again on the turn - there's no reason to shut him down with a flop 3bet.

Surf
Old 07-16-2005, 12:09 AM

Could he simply be putting you on tilt? Again, just a thought.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could he simply be putting you on tilt? Again, just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very possible, I wasnt too happy with how often I was getting pushed off hands. I try to remain objective and play each hand as it comes, but its always a battle with my emotions when Im in the 10/20.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:21 AM

Excellent post Surf, you summed up my feelings for the hand very well.

His play doesnt make sense at all no matter what he has.

Unless he thinks that I am pushing a marginal hand and he needs to get MP off of his weak K in order to win the hand.

In fact, he did have AQ, suited in hearts. So I definitely think he bluffed me off of a pot or two shortly before this hand.

After this hand however, he began to play more passively against me compared to the other players.

I think this is why I struggle with the 10/20 game sometimes, I need to improve my ability to determine when players are shifting gears against me, because even the losers in the game have an arsenal of tricky moves.