Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Am I insane? (89s in huge pot)

I know posting UTG+1 is pretty dumb, but this was a ridiculously loose table and I was leaving for a movie in like 20 minutes.

I don't have PT and didn't have any notes on anyone at this table so no reads (other then 70% avg. seeing flop)

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25. MP1 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, Hero (poster) checks, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls $0.25 (All-In), CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (19 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 19 BB

I wanna wait a bit and see some feedback before I post my thought process during the hand.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Am I insane? (89s in huge pot)

I have mixed feelings about the 3-bet on the flop. There's no way to protect your hand so betting out for value looks fine, but when SB check-raises the whole field he probably has a hand. Without a read, I think I'd slow down here.

But, given the way you played it, why not bet the turn? If it's because you're giving credit to someone for a flush, then why call the turn bet?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:05 PM

if the table is that loose, i might just treat this hand like a middle pair + bd flush draw. your equity on the flop is not very good.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know posting UTG+1 is pretty dumb, but this was a ridiculously loose table and I was leaving for a movie in like 20 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just have a snack and go to the movie. Do you really need to play poker to fill that time? Or else just wait *TWO* hands and post in the big blind. It's not as if this particular decision is going to kill you financially, but you do need to take your money seriously when you sit down to play, if you really want to play well. If you're just playing around... then you wouldn't be posting here.

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25. MP1 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, Hero (poster) checks, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls $0.25 (All-In), CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (19 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

I wanna wait a bit and see some feedback before I post my thought process during the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just call the check-raise and plan to raise the turn regardless of what falls.

Another plan would be to check and see what develops behind you on the flop. With such a weak top pair no kicker, I don't think I mind dumping this if it gets raised (depends on who, where, and how many callers). I don't know if I want to give you full 8 outs if it's raised, plus you have spade redraws against you.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 PM

The fact that MP1 post/called, called the flop betting then bet out here kinda scared me. I thought there was a chance that he either had a 2 or a flush, but I also thought there was a chance he was just betting because it was checked to him.

Also at this point I'm thinking SB might just have overcards or maybe is on a straight draw since he just called here.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 PM

First of, leaving in 20 minutes is not an excuse for posting from EP.

I'm not sure, but I think the flop is fine.
A lot of cards on the turn criple you here, but the pot is huge and you gotta try to limit the field somehow.

The 2 of clubs is a scarecard, it pairs the board and sets a possible flush on board.
To check and see what happens is ok IMO.

I like the idea of calling on the flop and raising the turn though.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 PM

I was already playing 2 other tables and had just left a 3rd due to the fact it was down to like 4 players...

I don't really know why I posted, I think it was probably because I was having a pretty good night and was a little overanxious to start playing at this table.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that MP1 post/called, called the flop betting then bet out here kinda scared me.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're UTG+1 so you act before MP1 -- you couldn't have known he was going to bet out on the turn.

In general, I think those 3rd flush cards can be as scary for the other players as they are for you. So just bet if you think you have the best hand. If you're bet is raised, then it's time to start thinking MP1 might have that flush.

Also, by checking you give infinite odds to anyone with a single [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and kittens have been killed around here for far, far less.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Ok, how far off was my thinking during the hand?

Post UTG+1 (obviously dumb, I don't really know what I was thinking)

Preflop:
Call seems obvious with this much in the pot.

Flop:
Not really very strong, but I still might have the best hand at this point. I 3-bet to try and isolate SB and wasn't terribly thrilled to see MP1 call. SB caps, eh, call.

Turn:
SB could be checkraising here and I would like to see a showdown so I just check(in retrospect this is probably really weak). MP1's bet suprised me a bit but when SB just calls I I'm getting such good pot odds I call.

River:
Doesn't seem likely this card is going to be relevent so I just check planning on calling 1 bet.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8h 9d (two pair, eights and twos).
MP1 has 7s 6c (two pair, sixes and twos).
MP3 has Jd Ah (one pair, twos).
SB has 7d 5s (one pair, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 19 BB. </font>

The reason I posted this hand is because I thought I played it poorly and I'm a little worried about becoming too result-oriented.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Anyone c/r the flop? If MP3 makes a continuation bet, maybe this will at least eliminate a couple of players.