Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 07-06-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Bragg--Calling/Pushing Charts

I've got a question about this article. It (the questions that is) seems pretty basic, so I'll try to state it simply. If it makes no sense, though, I'd be happy to restate it...

The charts are based on the first one in which hands that are mathematically favored are grouped together...therefore, say: Q5 is favored over 98. And yet the subsequent calculations are based on statements like this: “when opponent pushes with top 75% of hands”. But aren’t many players…even non-donkeys, MORE likely to push with a suited connector than a bare Q? I think I’m missing something about the charts, but, aren’t these two separate considerations?

Thanks in advance,
Sorry that I have an actual, not-so-entertaining question!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Bragg--Calling/Pushing Charts

You may be right, but I know I am more likely to push with a Q3 than with 76s. I had to rank the starting hands somehow and I figured that head-to-head strength was a good, objective criteria. It would be difficult to rank the hands with a subjective criteria based on perceived strength.

Dennis
Old 07-07-2005, 08:46 AM

Dennis, great article. I'd hope to see you in the STT forum.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 AM

True, it would be more difficult, and your article was great and quite clear. I bet one could just make some small adjustments to one's onthefly calculations if you know a player might incorrectly regard small suited conns. as a top 50% hand, and not play weak Qs or Js. So you in turn can move weak Qs and Js which are favored over small s.c. up the color chart--so you can play any K, any Q to Q4, J4 for 5bb, etc. Does this make sense?

I know one would have to have a lot of info on a player, or just a strong read, but now that we've got a standard range, we can adjust for individuals. Great stuff sir!