Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Deeper and deeper

Here is a fun game:

Live 20/40 game. Our main opponent in this hand is a thinking player. He doesn't seem to be a great player, but he thinks at least. He is okay. He loves to make big laydowns and is good at hand reading -- his major weaknesses are he is too loose and too passive and too fold-happy. One of those people who thinks good folds means a good player.

Loose guy limps on the button which could be an extremely wide range of hands. We raise in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The BB 3-bets, the limper calls and we cap. (This is an easy cap I think, but just as a side note I think capping with a huge range of hands is correct in this spot.) Anyway, they both call, but the BB grumbles and says, "Ok, now I know I can't win.", our cue he has a little pair or a bad ace.

The flop is 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

You bet he raises. It's a little pair.

This is the game: Your goal is to make your opponent believe you have an overpair so that he folds his little pair. What is the best line you can come up with that represents an overpair to a reasonable, thinking opponent?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Deeper and deeper

it's just about 50/50 whether i 3-bet the flop or c/r the turn when i actually have an overpair. against this particular opponent, a turn c/r seems more likely to force a fold, especially if a big card hits.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:55 AM

I think for a second then call. Then I pause on the turn before checking, and get my chips out as fast as possible for the checkraise.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:58 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

check-raise the turn, no? bet-call, check-raise is the cheesiest, most well known line for a big hand
Old 07-01-2005, 05:42 AM

smooth call

check/raise turn usually does it.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:53 AM

call the flop and check-raise the turn is such an obvious answer that I suspect that you have something else in mind. I'm interested to hear it.

Maybe you think check/call turn and bet the river, since people who make "good laydowns" love to make them daramaticaly on the river? I don't like it though.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the game: Your goal is to make your opponent believe you have an overpair so that he folds his little pair. What is the best line you can come up with that represents an overpair to a reasonable, thinking opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would 3-bet the flop and lead the turn and river regardless of the cards that come if my aim were to induce a reasonable opponent to fold an underpair.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:10 AM

Even players doing "strong laydowns" will often call turncheckraise in this spot if turn is another low card and they are sitting with a pair?

Checkcalling turn and betting river got two benefits over turncheckraise:

1) There will normally be one more overcard to his low pair by then, making it easier for him to do a "strong fold" if we donkbet.

2) If he got a high pair like QQ or KK he will maybe 3bet turn and we have to fold, not getting those 6-3 outs for hitting our overcards.

If K fell on turn I would checkraise. If lower card call and donkbet river. If Q I would donkbet hoping he calls. If A I wouldnt know how to get more money from him because I guess he would check behind turn.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:25 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I think this makes a lot of sense. I don't know how profitable a river bet out would be since it's so suspicious and counterintuitive, but in some situations it's probably not even worth trying to get this guy to fold, either because the turn is a certain card that probably gives him a gut shot, or because he's done nothing yet other than raise and mumble something,s o there's no sure way to know he's not sitting on AA
Old 07-01-2005, 06:35 AM

3 bet the flop and checkraise the turn (if you think he will bet the turn). This crys monster the most.

Calling the raise and checkraising the turn is also fine.