Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:43 PM

Default 4/8 - B&M...what\'s your typical/average win

Just curious how much people typically win in a 4/8 live game because I often reach a hill that I can't overcome.

I play live in LA where the players generally are really bad. They play super loose for the most part, seem to like "almost any two", and are stubborn about folding.

I find that I can usually win 140-180 (with solid play). Now here's my dilema. I usually stay...thinking I can win more since the games are usually still good. I often times will loose my winnings and sometimes some of my $$.

I'm just wondering how much others are winning at 4/8? What's a typical good session?

I find that it is hard to beat a whole table of chasers. Someone always finds something. It starts with good cards getting cracked repeatedly. I try to stay diciplines but sometimes this leads to another part of the problem...probably a form of tilt where I (not all the times though) begin to losen up my hand requirements (not tremendously but enough) and stay in hands longer than I should (this might be a good time to leave)

I know poker is suppose to be one long game. Just how others are doing in 4/8 live and how to overcome my "wall" situation (keep playing, table change around the "wall amount", leave at first signs of tilt)

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: 4/8 - B&M...what\'s your typical/average win

Prelude:

You are brave to submit a post like this - all previous posts like this got flamed and berated alluding to poor play (poster), perfect table conditions (loose) for a big score and told to go back and read SSH again (once was too much for me)

I play a lot of live 4-8 in these conditions and have experienced the exact same results. Live 4-8 is streaky especially when you have 2+ players chasing straights, flushes or holding a junk Ace or King hoping to pair up on the turn or river. You're going to take some bad beats but you have to take it in stride and pray these fools don't leave the table before you can get your money back. Another suggestion, which is difficult for me since I play more for fun than money, is to walk away when you are up $150 - $200. Also, I never play live 4-8 for less than 5 hours in order to get a decent range of starting hands and dragged pots.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:28 PM

I'm not going to berate anyone (yeah, I know, I need to conform to the 2+2 code of conduct...) but I am going to proffer an opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
Now here's my dilema. I usually stay...thinking I can win more since the games are usually still good. I often times will loose my winnings and sometimes some of my $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is either a subtle but dangerous form of tilt, or it's selective memory playing tricks with a random walk. My guess is it's a little of both. (A third possibility is that opponents are getting a read on you. At some $4/8 tables that might be the case, but at others that's unlikely given their general level of observation.)

I'll admit, I do things like play a $2/4 game, if I go substantially up then switch to $4/8, and when I feel like I'm "cresting" and falling back down switch to something else (say 1-3 stud) to "break my fall". I do it because my risk tolerance is not yet very high, not because the game suddenly turned -EV. The cards don't know that I'm running well. Maybe some opponents notice, but frankly it looks like luck -- which it is, in the short term.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:37 PM

I feel that you should play in a game for as long as possible if you have a clear advantage. Suckouts and short-term bankroll roller coasters are inevitable in most low limit games, but you should be able to overcome them over time by utilizing the information provided in SSH.

(NOTE: I am advocating you do this within the constraints of your bankroll and risk tolerance).

Good luck.

Brian
Old 06-29-2005, 04:43 PM

I'm not any kind of great player, but I average about $10 an hour at 4/8 B&M. I don't know if that's good or bad.

It'll be a happy day when I can profitably play a higher limit where the rake and tips don't kill me.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:34 PM

I will start the berating. I couldn't even finish reading the OP because is misapplication of the fundamentals. Lets get to the heart of it, you are no officially being berated because you need to learn the following ASAP:

1) Don't be results oriented. Focus on playing perfect poker, and results will come naturally
2) Don't think of winnings in dollar amounts, think of them in big bets. The average B&M win is 1 BB/hour over a long period of hundreds of thousands of hands. The best players may slightly exceed 2 BB. It doesn't matter if you win 7 BB /hour today, in the long run it all evens out. Welcome to the concept of variance.
3) If you can't beat the chasers, then you can't play the game. We welcome chasers here... yes at times it can be frustrating, but they are the providers.
4) Read SSHE, the micro limits forum, then wash rinse and repeat.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 06:46 PM

Ditto. Good point as always, sir!

That being said, OP, it is impossible to "loose" money.

-ZEN
Old 06-29-2005, 07:19 PM

Thanks all for your responses and for not berating [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I am finishing up SSH for the second time and am playing close attention to the "protecting your hand" chapters. I think this is one are I still need to improve in. Looking back over my post and the responses, I found one answer is to either leave, take a break or change tables when I find the "suck-outs" starting to effect my play.

I know the loose games are ideal playing conditions. I still feel that sometimes it is very hard to overcome so many chasers. This leads me to think more about table selection - maybe change to one with a better mix of players (fewer chasers ).

Would you consider winning 150+ in a few hours a good session. Maybe I should stop being greedy [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] and leave and do other things.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto. Good point as always, sir!
That being said, OP, it is impossible to "loose" money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping to win lots of loose money this weekend in Vegas.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you consider winning 150+ in a few hours a good session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah -- it's certainly more than you would expect to average over thousands of hours in that game if you're a winning player.

But that question misses the point that folks here are trying to get across. It shouldn't matter how much you're up or down during a particular session. Instead, you should look at how you stack up skill-wise against the players at the table, as well as how you're feeling physically and mentally.

Leaving after an hour because you're up $150 and think you're due to give it back doesn't make much sense.