Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Terribly Played Hand

Out of position with medium pocket pairs is super tough. I felt like I played this hand terribly but I sort of don't know how else I could have played it. Any ideas?

I have no reads whatsoever-- this is my second hand at the table and these guys are all new to me.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 06-28-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Terribly Played Hand

I personally like a raise post-flop. You have pair (BB may not) and an inside straight draw. The post-flop raise has the potential of giving information. If BB reraises, he is more likely to also have a pair. I like taking an aggressive approach in this situation.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:25 AM

rory,

FWIW, I play it the same, then post it to the forum afterward. I don't know that a flop bet-to-induce-a-raise does much because you're still offering the field 9:1 and you may be drawing yourself. Turn call is standard, and I can't bring myself to value bet the river.

Rob
Old 06-28-2005, 11:33 AM

i don't really understand how you could play it much differently with no reads.

you certainly couldnt fold, imo. so really all you could have done different is to be more aggressive.

BB looks lik an overpair, and we don't know if he is capable of laying it down to a turn c/r. He could have unimproved overs though. cant' fold to a turn 3bet.

maybe a turn stop n' go, maybe a flop lead. hmm.

anything that doesnt involve folding is a good starting point.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM

I also like to raise medium pocket pairs in early position if I play them. I think the hand plays easier this way. It is a raise or fold situation for me in early position. Am I missing something by not limping with (77,88) here?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also like to raise medium pocket pairs in early position if I play them. I think the hand plays easier this way. It is a raise or fold situation for me in early position. Am I missing something by not limping with (77,88) here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the question. rory was the SB in this hand. Yes, I raise 77 and 88 UTG.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:48 AM

Betting the flop? Other than that, seems standard.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:50 AM

I'm an idiot, didn't read the post fully. Ya, I limp in the SB too.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rory,

FWIW, I play it the same, then post it to the forum afterward. I don't know that a flop bet-to-induce-a-raise does much because you're still offering the field 9:1 and you may be drawing yourself.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. You might get people to fold their overcards incorrectly, which is great for you in such a big pot. Plus, by checking they will be correct to call 1 bet with just 1 overcard + backdoor possibilities. This pot is big. You only have one chance to protect because every turn card will look ugly, so you need to lead this flop. Throwing in an extra SB in a 15 SB (and growing) pot is worth it if you can get 1 person to fold when facing 2 cold when they would call if only facing 1 bet.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop? Other than that, seems standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I typically bet the flop here and hope/expect that something like AK/AQ will raise to try to get things heads-up, after which point I can check/call it down or bet the river if he checks behind on the turn.

Often, of course, weak players won't raise the flop with their AK or AQ, and rather just call . . . that gives tasty information too.