Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Bet/3-Bet or Check/Raise?

Villian here is sLA-N. For those who like stats he's something around 27/9/1.6.
He's not an idiot but he's not a superstar either. His steal/defense percentages are pretty close to optimal.

I know some will disagree with the PF call - that's OK. I don't feel it's that bad given that we already know it's HU and there's a very good chance that we're dominating Villian here.

PreFlop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="red">Button <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero???

Assume that we're ahead on the turn here.

So here's the question: Who checks hoping to check/raise? Who donkbets hoping to 3-bet? Who does something else? And why?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Bet/3-Bet or Check/Raise?

Ok, so you said you know you have villain dominated. Your right, you probably do. This is why you should be 3 betting, you need to get your money in while your ahead here.

After 3 betting here, the hand plays differently. But playing it the way you have, I am looking to check-raise for sure. I am check-raising this turn because if he hasn't hit, he folds to your bet-out. If he has nothing and you check, you give him the option to bet again.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:48 AM

Seems like you should c/r. If villian has nothing, you probably gain a BB over betting out. If villian has a piece of the board, he's probably calling you down and you gain a BB. If villian has A-decent kicker, he's likely 3-betting you anyway. I think the only time a donkbet is better is when you're behind, and if you're planning on 3-betting a raise, then the c/r costs you the same or less even when you're behind.

I'd be more inclined to bet out if the board were more coordinated and I thought a whiff might hurt me.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

me c/r as it seems likely villain will bet out. me think villain try to steal blind. me think you ahead. me think you need to push your edge.