Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post : AQs in the SB

[ QUOTE ]

If you bet the turn and get raised, you don't know where you are. Is he raising AT/AJ? or is he raising AK/A9? You can't securely 3-bet, so you have to call and check the river, which he may check behind for a free showdown, costing you money when he has AJ or smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you have to call the turn.

Why check the river? AK or better is going to bet the river, and you're going to call. AJ or worse may in fact call the river ifyou bet. There is some small chance that another AQ would fold the river if you bet.
You're not going to get bluffed by a worse hand if you bet the river. You can fold to a raise. Pick up a value bet if AJ calls.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check the river to induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Will

[/ QUOTE ]
A guy with a 31vpip opened from CO and has shown no aggression since we played back at him. Do we honestly think this guy has anything?

He'll almost certainly fold to our bet on the river, why not check to and let him bet into us, a la the Amazingly Standard AQs play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he will call with more hands than he will bet if we check. Villain is 31/8.5, which means he is not a maniac - he is slightly loose/passive.

Against loose passives, value betting is the shiznizzle and inducing bluffs is not the shiznizzle.

You seriously need to reevaluate your river play. I guarantee that you do not value bet nearly enough, and that it is costing you a significant amount of money at whatever limit you are playing.

Will
Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM

I like leading this turn. I think a lot of opponents will smell a rat when you check here and check behind, especially if they don't have a pair. We have no indication that our opponent is a LAG here.

Also, I want the equity of being able to lead without the ace in a future hand and getting my opponent to fold the turn.

Jon
Old 06-28-2005, 12:46 AM

I bet out on the turn. If he raises I think its a call. You could get a little crazy and three-bet him (which is another reason I like the bet line.). I think CR here could lead to u losing more than u need to.

I like a CR if u have AK.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 AM

Why do we want to check. That is more likely to be a scare card for him because it is even less likely that it hit him because we hold one. Also if he does have an ace we may be raised giving us a chance to 3-bet because if he had AK we, I assume, would be likely to see a cap pre-flop. If he has an A9 type hand we probably would have been raised on the flop. So I like just betting with the intention of a 3-bet.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:04 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

how bout a check-call, check-raise?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:23 AM

I usually keep betting in these situation. I'd occasionally throw in a check/call, bet/call in this spot if I had to give up on many hands before and I suspect I'm being bluffed off the best hand alot. I'd also try bet and check raise river vs some players who call down with anything and always bet if checked to.

I think all sorts of plays are valid depending on your opponent, what you have done in previous hands etc. Metagame