Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Strong Start, wicked twist

Ok, so villain is 31%/12%/3.38, calls raises like its going out of style.

My thoughts: I check the turn and call a river bet from villain the flush doesn't hit. I thought this was a better line than betting out.

What do you all think?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($229.77)
Button ($112.1)
SB ($97.5)
BB ($40.3)
UTG ($104.75)
MP ($71.45)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $8, SB (poster) calls $7.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, Button folds, SB calls $18.

Turn: ($61) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($61) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $45</font>, Hero calls $45.

Final Pot: $151
Old 06-16-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Strong Start, wicked twist

I really don't like that call on the end.

I usually bet the turn here, not too big and if I get bet at/ raised at any point I'm done.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:36 PM

Hmm, I guess after looking at this hand again I think I should have clearly folded.

I don't imagine the villain making this big of a bet without the 10.

edit: I guess lawrence beat me to it. Thank you
Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 PM

I'm not trying to make this sound like an easy laydown, but this is what seperates sort of winning players from very good players, you're going to get outdrawn and limiting you losses is huge here.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 PM

ya no doubt. There was a time when this would be a no brainer. Ive kind of been on perma tilt for the past couple months.

Its really weird because Im finally coming to the realization of what has been going on. Im pretty sure i fell into this tilty way of thinking due to a bad run awhile back.

Im working my ass off to wake up again.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:01 PM

We should come to the realization that on a 2 flush flop headsup where we have overpair, a call of our flop bet is much more likely to be top pair than flush draw.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:04 PM

yep, my thoughts were pretty gross here....
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 PM

I don't think it is really all that clear. Your check behind on the turn is a serious show of weakness, and he might have decided that he could take it away with his 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Basically, you have induced a bluff, so you don't want to fold to one, at least not every time. Therefore, if I know whether or not the villain bluffs too often, I would call or not based on that.

From your stats, it looks like villain would have bet out on the flop with top pair, so I have trouble putting him on a ten. I could easily believe that he had 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and he really thinks he is good here.

Basically, I hate the situation you are in and I would have tried to avoid it in the first place. I think that I would have put in a medium bet, say $25, on the turn. If he check-raises, fold. If he calls and bets out on the river, then fold unless it is a very small bet. If he calls and checks the river, check behind.