Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 06-15-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Should I have raised 5th or 6th?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.50 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (5.50 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.50 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets $5.25 and is all-in
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (10.25 BB)

Results:
Total pot $61.50 | Rake $2

Hero: [5s 5h 3s 5c 7h 4s 8s] (three of a kind, Fives)

Seat 4: [Th Ad Kd 9d 8d 6h 4h] (high card Ace)

I would usually raise 5th and/or 6th here, but Seat 4 didn't have enough to single-bet every street, and I didn't want to chase away the other player with a raise. I planned to raise on the river if Seat 7 had called--but he time-out folded. Is holding off on a raise because of a low stack that can only pay single bets to 7th in a multiway pot good reasoning, or exposing myself to risk too much?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Should I have raised 5th or 6th?

I'm not sure raising is a good idea here... his diamonds are uncomfortably live. I wouldn't be suprised if he hit it on fifth.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:36 AM

Yeah, diamonds are scary live. But why not put him all-in on 6th and extract another bet from seat 7?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:38 AM

Fair enough. The 3 diamonds were what tipped the scale to just call--I've gotta call it down, and I can't get any extra bets out of him if I fill up against a made flush. So, with the third guy's weak board, I worried that a raise would knock out some dead money I wanted to keep in. I planned to raise the river (presuming he called) and hopefully get $6.75 back if I didn't fill up and Seat 4 had the flush.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, diamonds are scary live. But why not put him all-in on 6th and extract another bet from seat 7?

[/ QUOTE ]

His board isn't scary at all, and my board suggests a straight--I really figured the raise might chase him away straight off (and lose a bet). At most, I can expect to get one extra bet out of him, since the action will start on him on 7th if Seat 4 is all in. I figured it > 50% that he would fold to a raise, so I didn't raise. Usually, I'd want to isolate with the low set... but I wanted the raise on 7th that might win me an extra bet to offset a loss against the all-in flush.

If you still think I should raise here, say so. I really appreciate your advice (and eveyrone else's) whenever I post one of these "I had a weird idea in this situation" posts.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:11 AM

Your 50% estimation is way too high, imo.
I just can’t see him folding for one more bet on 6th. (I did this once today, and I’m not doing it again anytime soon – I folded aces, only to watch kings up take down a decent pot. Arrrgh.)
By the way, I’m not sure if you want him to fold on 6th or not – given his deadish board probably not.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:52 AM

I agree with just calling. keep the other guy in just in case the guy does have the flush you are getting better odds to draw to your full house (which you would need to beat the flush). if he doesn't have a flush, he's probably not giving up the pot for a reraise, but the other person most likely will.