Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post : KJo in LMP

I'd like to have more of a read on the button, but such is life in a world of incomplete information.

I like this play better than if the turn-river had come Q-9 (instead of 9-Q). The way the hand has played decreases the likelihood of button having a Q (probably would have raised the flop) or a 9 (probably would have raised the turn).

From this hand only, button looks pretty passive here. But I don't know if there is any opponent you can lay down to here (absent a great read), because checking the river OOP on a double-paired borad is screaming for a bluff, even to the most casual player. You don't have to fold an A or a K too often here to make raising better than just calling....but I still think it is pretty marginal. I'm always amazed how many bad players have a hand like Q7 or T9 here.

I think I would much prefer a check-call line with AK or AJ, though. The possibility of folding an A is what makes me think that check-raising with KJ may be best.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:08 PM

I think this is a good bet if you feel he will lay down Ax 1/4 of the time, which I think he probably would.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would much prefer a check-call line with AK or AJ, though. The possibility of folding an A is what makes me think that check-raising with KJ may be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason the check-raise is such a good play with AK or AJ. No one, and I mean no one, is 3 betting a check-raise with less than a boat there. An ace may fold, so you add a bit of value. Stealing what would be a split pot is really quite a coup.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:17 PM

There's a lot of different kinds of bad players. Too passive, Too aggro, Too loose, Too tight and Too weak are the common types (don't mean to state the obvious)
Old 06-10-2005, 06:20 PM

I still like this raise holding an ace. You are gaining 4BB if he folds an ace, losing nothing if he calls with one and only losing 1BB when he reraises (assuming a fold). I think him having and laying down an A is probably at least 1/4 as likely as him coming back over the top here or calling with a better hand.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the exact reason the check-raise is such a good play with AK or AJ. No one, and I mean no one, is 3 betting a check-raise with less than a boat there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to back this up, I don't think that even a 9s full would raise here.

I did not underestand this play when I first read it half an hour ago (like the many things that I don't underestand in this game) but it's amaizing how a good post can open your mind and make you think beyond the "standard".

I hope you will keep your promise and post one hand each day. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

also agree...does a 9's full FOLD here? And how bad is the Villain PF that he CC's w/ a 9?

I think there is a slight chance he folds 9's full here, but there is less chance he has a 9. I'm seeing more and more that this is a huge read dependant play. And I don't like it w/ as little information as we have on him.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:32 PM

*Maybe* 9's full folds. I doubt it, but maybe. But I really doubt he's holding a 9. Big A, PP, seems likely.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 PM

JJ or TT is something that a Bad PF player wouldn't 3 bet, and would also explain the passive play w/ the Over card on board. I think these are pretty likely now.