Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Default am I what I criticize?

How's my play here? I called on 4th with the gapped whipsaw, and on 5th with a gutshot. Then I checked on 7th, fearing the check-raise. It worked out this time, but I am very unsure about my play here. The reasoning at the time on 5th was implied odds if my 8 (or a weak backdoor flush) hit--8's are live, and pot would figure to be 10+ BB if I hit it. Is that too loose of a call, and is the check on the end just wussy? I just figured it was obvious what I had, and no one would call unless they could raise.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.10 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (11.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (11.55 BB)
Old 06-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: am I what I criticize?

I would probably fold on fourth. You straight cards are live but you still have two catch to miracle cards to hit it and your flush cards are semi-live. I don't think that the villian has a good enough hand that he will just jam every street with something that you beat to make up for it. Wait for a better chance to draw out on him.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:15 AM

Well, unfortunately, I only remembered one spade out on 3rd, instead of two. The call with the 3 flush was because I thought the spades were more live than they were. What do you think about the call on 5th?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:48 AM

4th is a clear fold. You said something about implied odds, but if you make a flush before the river you’ll have a four-flush on board – so it’s actually a case of reverse implied odds, since you don’t make money if you hit (at least if your opponents are sane). If you had two spades in the hole it would be a little better (but still not good enough to call). Besides, spades aren’t exactly live. Needless to say, your straight possibilities are very, uhm, vague.

5th is a fold too – spades are looking deader, so all you really have is a gutshot with no over cards (they wouldn’t help anyway, since you’re probably up against two pairs already).

The river check is truly horrible. Bet your damn hand already. If you were in there with queens up – would you fold? In a 11 bb pot? No way.
Value betting on the river is extremely important in stud. It also a lot of fun – first they make you pay to suck out, then you make them pay to see. I love it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the comments, Roland. My feeling was that maybe I managed to play this one like an idiot, and then like a vagina. Thanks for the confirmation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My feeling was that maybe I managed to play this one like an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you played it like BeerMoney [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 AM

Well hey... I figured I could post a hand like this, with my questionable reasoning (but seriously, I called with the 3-flush because I thought the spades were more live--maybe it was wrong either way) so that people might stop picking on BeerMoney and say "you played that like B.T."
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 AM

BTW, you're double-gutted, not playing a gutshot, on fifth street.

Bet the river.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, you're double-gutted, not playing a gutshot, on fifth street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m tired…thanks for pointing that out. The call on 5th is fine in that case.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:25 AM

4th and 5th are fine, 6th plays itself but the check on 7th to close the action is terrible. You have to extract the max in these situations and make some pretty thin value bets, but this one isn't even close.