Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Taking risks in early levels (1 - 3): worth it?

While most 2+2ers it seems would stay away from close decisions when blinds are small, what are the opinions on taking a few more risks in the first few levels to build some sizeable chips?

I recently had several STT's where I've stayed out of the mayhem that resulted in one player ended up knocking out two people one one hand and could shove the table around for the rest of the game. I'm not talking AA vs AK vs KK or anything to that effect, just plain old fashion "oh yeah, f you too buddy" type raises and then having some junk hold up. From then on, as I played a normal solid game, I couldn't really make plays b/c I am sure I'd get called (and sure was) and would run into being busted out by a much weaker hand preflop since the big stack had me covered by so much.

My thought is, would it be worth it opening up the game in the first level or two, to try to lure one of these people looking to lose their entire stack. I'd rather them lose it to me than someone else. I'm not advocating any sort of strategy but was wondering if possibly trying to see a bunch of cheap flops on levels 1 and 2 could benefit in the long run.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Taking risks in early levels (1 - 3): worth it?

I play at UB where the deep stacks allow one to mix it up in the early rounds with less risk of ruin. I agree with the tightness of those here who play in the 800 and 1,000 chip stacks but if you like playing flops and being more aggressive early, switch to games that reward such behavior instead of penalize it.

All that said it's still unwise to be a maniac in the early levels and chasing in situations that bleed chips is never good. It's one thing to be aggressive, another to call off chips.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:00 PM

Sure seeing cheap flops in the early stages is not bad at all.Assuming you mean atleast deason hands.something like J10off,J9,Q10,etc.in late position.emphasis on late.The key words in this is CHEAP AND LATE POSITION!!!!!!!Hopefully this helps.Good luck
Old 06-01-2005, 02:06 PM

With the exception of the rare 'perfect' flop, all you'll be doing with these hands is calling of chips on a draw - or worse yet, misguidedly attempting to play a TPshittyK after the flop.

"Keep it tight"
Old 06-01-2005, 02:07 PM

oh yes, exactly I apologize for not clarifying. I only mean playable hands, and for the most part in late position. There are some games I've seen where there is minimal pre-flop raising but getting to see the flop is just the BB or a min raise, with significant action.

I'm no maniac firing chips in there don't get me wrong, but to see an opportunity to see if I have a good shot at the pot given the right odds is more of my line of thinking. Like, in late position with several limpers why not call with Ax suited, just to try to get to the flop (if the game has proceeded like I mentioned earlier, lots of people in on the flop).

I routinely play PP 10+1 and 20+2's, back to the 10's due to bankroll limitations so I'm looking at a starting stack of 800 and blinds of 10/15. Nothing feels worse than getting to level 5 and playing only good hands, and being more constrained b/c there is a great chance if you decide to play, all your chips will go in the pot to a loose big stack who took the chance, when you did not. Just debating if this is something I should work on more, early round play. I felt extremely comfortable playing solid and tight poker in the first 4 levels or so, however I've noticed that I can be behind very quickly depending on the flow of the game.