Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 03:38 AM

Default AKo hand

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Fold the turn? 3 Bet the river? Lead the turn? bleh
Old 06-01-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: AKo hand

3 bet this river, what hand beats you here that he plays?? Kxs/Qxs??? Doubt it... QJ/QT/lone king are more likely than the 2 clubs here I think

The turn is kinda sticky... check raising is stupid, check/folding is weak, and leading sucks if his 2 pair decides to pop you... I probably check call too and hope to spike my 4-10 outs
Old 06-01-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2005, 04:40 AM

I don't think you have enough outs to be seeing the river. Fold the turn.

The way you played it, I'd just call the river raise. CO is going to cap with a flush here a lot and that sucks.

Also, I have my own question here regarding flop play against few opponents (1 or 2) OOP when you have overcards. I usually will only bet this flop if my opponents are very prone to folding. I hate getting into situations where I get callers on the flop and have to decide whether to follow up on the turn. If I then check the turn, it is inevitably going to be bet. If I bet, I often am called or raised by superior holdings. Against unknowns, is it better to give up the momentum and just check the flop?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:16 AM

I would have check/fold the flop. That Q is a card people can actually have. If it's a ten I'll bet but once nobody backs down I have to think they are playing for something. No flush threat or real straight threat. So what do that have. A 9?

Even if they have a 9 you are playing from behind with a small pot. Pick your battles. This is not one I'd like.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 AM

You need something like 7-6 outs to call this turn. I don't think the turn call is that bad, but its looks to be a small mistake.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have check/fold the flop. That Q is a card people can actually have. If it's a ten I'll bet but once nobody backs down I have to think they are playing for something. No flush threat or real straight threat. So what do that have. A 9?

Even if they have a 9 you are playing from behind with a small pot. Pick your battles. This is not one I'd like.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, the pot may be small but this is a situation which is going to come up time and time again. If your going to check fold here your giving up too much. This is 2-4 people will limp in with all sorts of trash if you check the flop your going to be faced with a bet the vast majority of the time, often by a hand your ahead of. At 2-4 i find it's rare in these type of situations for this flop to get checked through somebody will often (correctly) take a stab at it if checked to. Bet out if you get called by both then it's time to re-evaluate, if called by a single opponent then the turn bet is somewhat read dependent but at 2-4 a turn bet against a single opponent is frequently correct.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:25 AM

You could keep leading the turn in a heads up situation no? But if you're going to check, you probably need to fold to a bet here. You didn't have odds to hit the gutshot - although it was nice that you did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 10:33 AM

I guess I'll fold the turn next time. Thanks for the comments. I seriously hate these situations.

<font color="white"> Bettor showed KTo and the other guy K9o so I was drawing to 3 outs on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] </font>