Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-28-2005, 03:21 AM

Default t-stone 1-3.. ugh.

full ring game, 1-3 spread limit. villain is a LAG, and has been raising every other pot preflop. he tends to slow down a little bit postflop, but not by much. he's taken middle pair to a showdown in a three-way pot before.

I'm on the button with 22. one player limps, villain raises to 4 ($3 raise on top of $1 blinds) from UTG+2. one player calls, I call. blinds call.

flop: KKK (pot: $26)

check, check, check, villain bets $3, fold, I raise to $6, fold, fold, fold, villain calls. heads up to turn.

turn: KKK (8) (pot: $32)

villain bets, I call.

river: KKK (8) (T) (pot: $38)

villain bets, I call.

I called preflop [clearly] for set value. I felt confident that some of the blinds would come along to play, and that the EP limper would too.

my flop raise is what makes me cringe in retrospect, but I feel that the villain would have made both the preflop raise and flop bet with A-high.

is calling down my only line after the flop raise? does anyone find a fold here?

(every time you lose a hand at the 1-3 table at turning stone, God kills a kitten.)
Old 05-28-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: t-stone 1-3.. ugh.

I don't know why you wouldn't raise that flop. I want every overcard I can get out of there.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:31 AM

This doesn't seem so bad against a LAG.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:34 AM

Does the fact that all betting rounds are 1-3 (meaning, essentially, 3) affect your decision to play small pairs, at least for a raise? Your implied odds are hurt by the lack of an increase in bet size. You're getting maybe 4 or 5:1, depending on how many of the blinds and limpers come along, so you need to make up, I dunno, $16 postflop? That's probably doable, especially against a LAG, but in other situations one would have to tighten up a bit right?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:27 PM

Default results

villain tables black nines, and I go find a private place to cry.

I was raising on the flop exactly to get overcards out of the pot. but immediately after I raised, I realized that with five opponents, there is a high probability that someone has a pocket pair that they certainly are not folding. I'm not sure about the math behind this, and I'm too lazy to figure it out.

once I made the flop raise, I felt I was committed to calling down, but I think my opponent will table A-high like 5% of the time after betting the turn and river. oh well.