Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Disaster Strikes

Ok here's a couple hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Hand 1:

I was already on tilt and didn't get a read like an idiot. Still I think I played this fine. This is the last hand I played before quitting, staring at the wall for 10 minutes, and coming here.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Hand 2:

Looking through my history there are tons of hands like this. I'm down $57 on A10 and they almost all look like this

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

edit: recently I've stopped bluffing on the turn, but now I feal really weak when I raise PF... I bet out, get called, then fold to a turn bet after I check. Seems just as bad
Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM

I disagree.. if you are folding the best hand too often at the river, your won $ SD would be too high, not too low since you're not showing down enough losers (i.e. weak hands that win just enough to be profitable).
Old 05-25-2005, 02:02 PM

These hands are not horrible (though I am not saying they were perfect, either).
It sounds like you definetely need to take a break, and then come back playing a limit your BR can afford, posting hands, thinking poker, taking it easy.
Get used to the fact that you won't be a poker millionaire this month, and maybe not the next either. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:03 PM

Hand 1: Good flop raise, but take the easy free card on the turn. Without the backdoor flush draw on the flop, I’d consider folding if I had a read that the SB was fairly passive.

Hannd 2: I wouldn’t raise ATo out of the SB, even to get it head up. You’re out of position the whole time and can’t do a free card play like to can in hand 1 if you need it. The way you played it, I would check/fold the turn and check/fold the river UI because the pot is too small to fight over.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:03 PM

Reads sure would help...

Obviously you're calling down the 3-bet on hand one river. w/o a read on SB I'm checking behind on the turn and hoping to catch.

Hand 2 is again tough w/o a read. I don't really like the PF raise because of this. You know nothing about how UTG plays post-flop and your PF raise virtually forces you to lead every street if you want to win the pot.

I think you slightly overplayed these two hands (looks just like tilt to me) - I don't think that this is horrible. Although if it's happening time and time again then maybe you just need to take a break for awhile and "walk it off".

This all sounds like it's really taking its toll on you mentally and that's definitely not an ingredient in the recipie for good poker.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:05 PM

MagicFlea: (Cool name)

You just need more experience. And, as already said, if losing $300 is a big deal for you, 2/4 is not your home. You can go to .5/1 where that downswing will be $75 instead.

I remember when those swings were devastating as well...the severe discouragement passes after several good downswings and you just say, oh, here goes one of these again. You have to take the downswings and the upswings with a grain of salt.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM

I've had days worse than that.

Get back on the horse, as everyone here has probably already said.

Oh, and post hands, not stats.

-d
Old 05-25-2005, 02:07 PM

What is the most common mistake of the average 2-4 player?

I know what I think it is, and it leads me to play AT (and many other hands) somewhat differently than you.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree.. if you are folding the best hand too often at the river, your won $ SD would be too high, not too low since you're not showing down enough losers (i.e. weak hands that win just enough to be profitable).

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right - my mistake....

Now this can be a result of making bad river decisions or (more likely IMO) putting yourself in bad positions on the river from bad play on earlier streets (like your hand #2 example).

Take a break. Do something aside from poker to take your mind off it. Don't just post hands here - reply to other's posts. You'll learn much more this way!!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:09 PM

thanks for the help everyone.

I think my problem is that my style is to push small edges as hard as I can and when I run well this leads to big wins, and when I don't it leads to big losses. My poker BR is down to $600 (cashout curse for me, I had $1800, cashed out 800 to pay bills and started losing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] so I guess I'll finish up my bonus at 1/2 and take a break for a bit. Thanks for the perspective, no more tilt for me (haha, year right)