Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 05-20-2005, 05:06 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Poker throwing off my sense of proportion with money

[ QUOTE ]
One very obvious issue that I neglected to mention.

I pretty much have enough money to purchase a semi-decent car if I wanted to.
But right now I'm more focused on building my bankroll and just don't want to splurge.

I'm also going to take some of my left-over W$ on Stars and play a couple prelim events at the WSOP for possibly up to $8k in entry-fees (although I will likely not have THAT many W$).
Obviously I could sell these W$ for cash and do okay...but I've decided to buy my way into a couple of prelim events instead.

The prelim events don't sound like an extraordinary expense if you are doing decently multi-tabling the 5/10 game and/or have a decent bankroll or whatever.

But it does feel strange that I have a fairly reasonable amount of money and will be possible blowing quite a bit of W$ that COULD have been converted to cash on these prelim events...
YET I still am driving around in my dented 96 Chevy-Cavalier with almost 170k miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

People ask me all the time if I'm getting a new car. I have a '98 van that's paid for and still running great even with 160k miles. Given where I live, I don't drive as much anymore. Why would I need a new car?

Trade in has crossed my mind. But no way am I going back to making payments on something new.

Poker is a low consumption lifestyle, Imo.

b
Old 05-20-2005, 05:10 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Sounds like you eat out alot.

b
Old 05-20-2005, 09:19 AM

Yeah, I think we live in different areas of the country. Price of food in the northeast is a lot higher.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:43 AM

i think this is natural. i have also, slowly, become desensitized to the value of money. of course right now i am working on cutting down on my grocery bills and eating out less and attempting to regain some sense in protecting my real-life bankroll.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where can I get a 12-pack of Pepsi for $3.60?

[/ QUOTE ]

Regularly on sale 2 for $5 in maryland. Regular price is like $4.50.

Greg
Old 05-20-2005, 12:06 PM

Winning poker means more money.

Spending means less money.

Once you keep that in perspective (and the fact that the potsize is not equal to your actual win rate) I think it helps.

However, when you can make money as easily as this, I am finding that I too feel that it does tend to lose some value.

I am just hoping that when I grow my bankroll large enough that I can start investing it rather then spending it. I want to see a return on my work for years to come. I would love for my poker winnings to be converted into passive income.

Greg
Old 05-22-2005, 08:35 AM

What I've decided is that my TIME is worth a lot of money. So while I don't buy more things, I'm willing to pay a lot more than I used to for things (like cabs or non-stop flights) that save me significant amounts of time. I'm also more likely to buy things quickly, without spending hours comparison shopping, and to buy from convenient places rather than cheap places.

I remember the first time I held $10000 in hundred-dollar bills. It felt surreal, I was grinning like a madman and flipping the bills around like crazy. Now it's just a heavy lump.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:50 AM

I really don't see a value in the money I have playing poker at internet. They are like play money for me. That's great since it makes me focus on only making +EV plays. I'm playing 2/4 now, but I think my attitude might change if I move to higher limits (but that's more b/c I might feel I'm getting outplayed when facing better opponents).

I'm also a student and have being frugal, but now when playing poker and earning money I toss money around me. That's not b/c I'm used doing it at the poker table, but rather that I have more money and don't need to worry about going broke.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:26 PM

You can't take it with you.

Make sure you are saving for your long term goals and live life and enjoy with the rest.