Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Poker throwing off my sense of proportion with money

Anybody else experiencing this? I've worked my way up from the microlimits to play $200 max NL. So with multitabling it's not unusual for me to have $1000 on the tables at any one time. I've achieved a skill which I think is necessary for successful play, which is that I feel comfortable risking a lot of money to pursue a thin edge.

The side effect of this is that it makes me care a lot less about throwing money around in the real world. Before I played poker, being a grad student, I was very frugal. Example: there's a soda machine at work that sells cans for 60 cents. I would rather buy 12-packs at the grocery store and bring them in to save the 30 cents a can. Going out to eat with my wife costs about $20. We tried to not go out too much and make things at home instead. But now, I can toss out $20 as a standard continuation bet.

Part of it is that poker is bringing in enough money that we don't have to scrimp as much, but I also feel like routinely betting hundreds of dollars is loosening my spending standards, to the point where I just don't care about a few dollars any more.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Poker throwing off my sense of proportion with money

thats a problem I'd like to have
Old 05-19-2005, 02:43 PM

Where can I get a 12-pack of Pepsi for $3.60?

Deciding what stakes to play is when you need to think about the money as real money. Once you made the decision to sit down at a table, whether it's .05/.10 micro limits or $200 NL, it's all about +EV decisions and the real-life value of your bets don't (shouldn't) count. On the flip side, there is no monetary +EV in going out to eat at a restaurant (there may be emotional +EV {if you don't eat like a slob} ), but you're not going to make money by spending foolishly, just like wild aggression at the table is sure to fail. So, make your real-life spending reflect your poker play: reduce -EV situations, money you don't spend (losing bets you don't call) is money you earn.

Crap, starting to sound like a 2+2'er.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Woe is me

"Help me! I have so much money I no longer care."

pm me and I'll give you my neteller account number for deposit.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:11 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Just the opposite for me. I remember very well what it was like not having much cash. I don't want to go back to that.

I just recently told someone how some of my buds think it's odd that I can have a grand or 2 on a table, yet hem and haw over a purchase at a store for only a fraction of that.

b
Old 05-19-2005, 03:25 PM

Despite some of the ridiculing responses, I am right there with you on this one.

I have been playing various levels of NL the past couple of months and losing a $2000 pot does "desensitize" you a little bit.

My spending habits have definitely been poor lately.

$20 for going out to dinner with the wife? My standard continuation bet is $40 and my girl is a cheap date.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:44 PM

If you are taking care to grow your bankroll by steadily plowing some part of your winnings back in it, and also your backroll (i.e. savings, 6 months+ expenses - a bankroll provides for a losing streak but NOT living expenses which normally are paid by winnings), plus investing a portion if you desire, then it is like you got a raise at work and of course you would live a little larger. How much larger is up to you.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM

i know how you feel.

yesterday i was sitting with $4k on four tables, it was quite a sight for me since only a year ago i was working for $7 an hour and never seemed to have money.

it concerns me a little bit (as I spend money carelessly like you) because if i was still conservative I could be saving up a lot more money.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just recently told someone how some of my buds think it's odd that I can have a grand or 2 on a table, yet hem and haw over a purchase at a store for only a fraction of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm similar to that. I have about 3k now in my bankroll online, but I never think of that as "real" money. I might have $1000 in play at 3-4 tables and I don't ever really think of it as money. It's more like my score. I'm annoyed when my score drops, happy when it goes up.

Now, 3k in my real life, that's HUGE! I suppose its a good thing my mind divorces the two. If I worried about $20 here and there at poker I'd be a crappy player.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where can I get a 12-pack of Pepsi for $3.60?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying this would be a good price? I never spend more than $2.50 for a 12-pack. Occassionally I can find 24-packs for $4.50... but I will never buy pop when it's not on sale. It's -EV to pay $6 for a 24-pack when I won't have to wait more than a week to find it on sale somewhere without going out of my way.

I feel bad about spending more than $5 on a meal.

I would much rather use my comps to grab some food at the deli instead of a restaurant, because the comps will not cover a tip at the restaurant. In fact, I was secretly glad that I received such ridiculously poor service on one trip that I could justify stiffing the waitress.