Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Living in the US, Learning the English Language

Amidst all the racist posts, I figured I'd take a stab and say if you are living in the US, learn [censored] English...k thx.

This was sparked by a recent "post" on our company "forum" about "Why isn't such and such printed in Spanish?"

I was inclined to respond "Why is ANYTHING in the US printed in Spanish", but valued my job (at least at this point and time...basically today) more than responding.

Obviously there are exceptions to international dealings between countries, so I am talking soley about US relative content ONLY.

And no, I don't expect other countries to support the English language. If I go there, I expect to speak their language or use sign language or grab [censored] and flash money to communicate.

I just think the US is going too far with supporting the Spanish language. (i.e. Spanish manuals, Spanish instructions, dedicated Spanish channels, dedicated Spanish radio stations, etc). Not to mention how Mexican immigrants are somehow PROTECTED and GAIN BENEFITS in the US. No wonder they want to come here.

Now listen, I support Bush (FU if you don't, yeah I'm opinionated) but I am not sure WTF he is thinking here:

WTF BUSH

Meanwhile, those already living in the US (and US citizens at that) can't find jobs.

Anyway, back to living in the United States with exceptional conformity and acceptance of the Spanish language. Why not have French, Russian, German, etc "specialities"?

Isn't that biased and racist?!?!

OK yeah I'm an opinionated [censored], I agree.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Living in the US, Learning the English Language

If your company will make more of a profit by being able to sell more copies of something printed in Spanish than it will cost them to produce the product.....well you can see where I'm going with this.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your company will make more of a profit by being able to sell more copies of something printed in Spanish than it will cost them to produce the product.....well you can see where I'm going with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the case, this was an internal document only...Confidential and only for the employees of the company.

But I do see where you are going with it...unfortunately that just makes the "issue" worse.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Considering the fact that there is no official US language, there are large spansish-speaking populations throughout the US and that hispanics are the fastest-growing ethnic group in the country, I'm actually surprised that more spanish-language media isn't available.

Now go to hell, you ignorant biggot.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM

What are the drawbacks of becoming a bilingual nation? Plenty of places around the world do it. Furthermore, how is the proliferation of Spanish infringing upon your basic rights in such a way that you feel it necessary to fight back against it?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the drawbacks of becoming a bilingual nation? Plenty of places around the world do it. Furthermore, how is the proliferation of Spanish infringing upon your basic rights in such a way that you feel it necessary to fight back against it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent question, but when it becomes a requirement to provide something in Spanish or something is only provided in Spanish when English has been the predominant language of this country for many years, I find that to be a difficult pill to swallow.

Furthermore, why is Spanish the predominant "secondary" language. If we are to be a multi-lingual country, so be it...I'm all for diversity but don't see why Spanish is given some precedence over all other languages in the United States nor why some resources within the US are provided with Spanish speaking individuals in mind but not any other language (and sometimes not English, i.e. Spanish only).

Interesting link on the controversy:

Yahoo on US Official National Language
Old 05-19-2005, 11:36 AM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over

From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Undocumented workers now pay billions of dollars annually into Social Security but do not collect benefits because they give their employers fraudulent Social Security numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for them. This is a problem?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, why is Spanish the predominant "secondary" language. If we are to be a multi-lingual country, so be it...I'm all for diversity but don't see why Spanish is given some precedence over all other languages in the United States nor why some resources within the US are provided with Spanish speaking individuals in mind but not any other language (and sometimes not English, i.e. Spanish only).

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Spanish is the 2nd most commonly spoken language in America.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering the fact that there is no official US language

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth

[ QUOTE ]
there are large spansish-speaking populations throughout the US

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many non-English speaking populations throughout the US, not just Spanish-speaking.

[ QUOTE ]
that hispanics are the fastest-growing ethnic group in the country

[/ QUOTE ]

See my Bush link and apply your local US geography (see Mexico below) for why this is not difficult to understand.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm actually surprised that more spanish-language media isn't available.

[/ QUOTE ]

While you are surprised there aren't more Spanish-language media, I am surprised where there are either ANY or why there aren't more French/Russian/German/Vietnamese/etc language media.

[ QUOTE ]
Now go to hell, you ignorant biggot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm already there, or at least the US is approaching it. Beyond the context of the US, or this world, there is no hell but that is just my biggoted opinion! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Undocumented workers now pay billions of dollars annually into Social Security but do not collect benefits because they give their employers fraudulent Social Security numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for them. This is a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems suspect, as most illegal/non green-card holding/non US citizens are not documented. Futhermore a company that submits fradulent information for employees is eventually subject to getting caught and losing much of their profit margin to the US government (see Enron for fraudulent dealings and results).

I think the better question is...where the hell is all that money going?