Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 04-24-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Is Phil Helmuth Playing With a Full Deck??

[ QUOTE ]
I raised and reraised every hand preflop and every street got raised to the max even if i had no hope of winning it. It reduced my bankroll by quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

Mack
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 AM

If you play 15-30, and blow off $40 in a .5/1 game, that's not going to affect your bankroll very much.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:19 AM

I think he is just trying to be like negreanu who did like $37,000 in rebuys in a WSOP $1000 rebuy event for fun and ended up placing in the top ten. (correct me if I remember it incorrectly). Ever notice how PH's articles are very much about PH and very little about poker? I learn more about poker in the sportsbetting section of Cardplayer than the PH column. Silly boy he is.

D
Old 04-29-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just like to point out that from the perspective of Phil Hellmuth's bankroll, an 8/16 game would be roughly the equivalent of a .02/.04 game for your typical small stakes player. I know that I've blown off steam on Party .50/1 before...

[/ QUOTE ]

As a micro-limit online player, I've often wondered why someone will sit in on a $0.05/$0.10 game with something like $120 and just go nuts on every hand. I always thought it was just to f$ck with us poor folks. Now I know it's because they're in pain.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:48 AM

I think there are actually times in some shorthanded poker variants were not allways looking at both your cards and using a game-theoritical approach can actually be correct. Of course, this isn't one of them.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a micro-limit online player, I've often wondered why someone will sit in on a $0.05/$0.10 game with something like $120 and just go nuts on every hand. I always thought it was just to f$ck with us poor folks. Now I know it's because they're in pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also in the same boat as you, playing lots of nickel-dime (myself, to build a roll from scratch and getting cheap experience).

A couple of weeks ago, a guy sat down at one of my 0.05-0.10 tables with $45,000 and capped about 10 hands in row. He then left. Luckily I got some good cards and took a couple bucks from him. I was like WTF? How weird.

After he left, I followed him to a $10-$20 6-max hold 'em table and observed him play some crappy poker. Since I don't really know how to play shorthanded (not to mention that I'm a novice player), I can't really say it was officially crappy. However, he did show some questionable hands down and lost somewhere around $500, maybe more, in a half hour of play. Players at the table were chatting about his play as well and seemed to be a bit flabbergasted with the cards he'd limp in or raise preflop with.

I couldn't tell if this person was a gambling degenerate or a pro on tilt. I find a better way to get off of tilt is to hop on the girlfriend. Playing nanolimits can be frustrating sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wally
Old 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After he left, I followed him to a $10-$20 6-max hold 'em table and observed him play some crappy poker. Since I don't really know how to play shorthanded (not to mention that I'm a novice player), I can't really say it was officially crappy. However, he did show some questionable hands down and lost somewhere around $500, maybe more, in a half hour of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

$500 at 10/20 is only 25BB. That doesn't really constitute a huge loss. However it does sound like this guy was on tilt.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very simple counter strategy: Fold when you have a bad hand, just call with good hands. To answer the Subject line question: No

GG

[/ QUOTE ]
i think a better strategy is to raise good hands, assuming first in after phil
Old 04-29-2005, 06:25 PM

Try doing this on your big blind in a live game. Pretend to look at your cards but don't do it. Try to get a read on what the other players have. Are they weak or strong? Do they look like they could be pushed off their hand. I think it can develop your tell reading skills if used in moderation.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$500 at 10/20 is only 25BB. That doesn't really constitute a huge loss. However it does sound like this guy was on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that shorthanded play is subject to fluctuations more so than ring play. That's what I was thinking, too. You're right, 25 BB is nuttin really.