Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Calling all HU Experts

For the first time in my poker career, I feel totally and in all ways PWNED. Not that my purpose is to tell a sob story, but I just lost my entire 10/20sh winnings from March in a single day. How you ask? Two sessions in soft 15/30 games and a 15/30 HU match gone horribly wrong to the tune of $6,000.

I am looking for someone that would be able to look over the transcript of this HU match or at least a section of it.(all in all the massacre lasted 839 hands). I know that my mindset was not all that great going into the match, it was late at night and I had had a long day. And I am positive that there was some tilting. However, I want to know how badly I played or if it was a mixture of bad play and bad luck. I dont usually play HU, but the situation is as follows. There is a mega fish who plays 10/20 and 15/30 and loves talking trash and challenging people to HU matches. We will call him PUNK. PUNK always sets up a private table with the same password. Well, I was about to sit at PUNKs 10/20sh table last night when he challenges a player I assume to be fishy to a HU match. FISH ends up losing 2500 to PUNK in about 90 minutes and looks to be rather passive about the whole matter. So, PUNK leaves and I step in. Oops...

Sorry about the rambling, but to wrap up, if anyone has some time they would like to devote to looking over sections of the HH I would appreciate it. Considering this HU endeavor has already cost me over $4K, I am willing to pay whatever fee is deemed fair by the forum for this service. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Calling all HU Experts

I would just like to reiterate that I am willing to pay money for HU experts to look at 100 or 200 hand patches of my large mistake. I want this to be a learning experience so it doesnt happen again. At the moment, looking at the hands, I see some mistakes and bad plays, but I need an outside opinion to clarify if there were systemic errors in my play.

If noone wants to help, so be it. I'm not a frequent poster, so I didn't really expect a lot of responses. In the meantime, its back to 5/10 for me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the first time in my poker career, I feel totally and in all ways PWNED. Not that my purpose is to tell a sob story, but I just lost my entire 10/20sh winnings from March in a single day. How you ask? Two sessions in soft 15/30 games and a 15/30 HU match gone horribly wrong to the tune of $6,000.

I am looking for someone that would be able to look over the transcript of this HU match or at least a section of it.(all in all the massacre lasted 839 hands). I know that my mindset was not all that great going into the match, it was late at night and I had had a long day. And I am positive that there was some tilting. However, I want to know how badly I played or if it was a mixture of bad play and bad luck. I dont usually play HU, but the situation is as follows. There is a mega fish who plays 10/20 and 15/30 and loves talking trash and challenging people to HU matches. We will call him PUNK. PUNK always sets up a private table with the same password. Well, I was about to sit at PUNKs 10/20sh table last night when he challenges a player I assume to be fishy to a HU match. FISH ends up losing 2500 to PUNK in about 90 minutes and looks to be rather passive about the whole matter. So, PUNK leaves and I step in. Oops...

Sorry about the rambling, but to wrap up, if anyone has some time they would like to devote to looking over sections of the HH I would appreciate it. Considering this HU endeavor has already cost me over $4K, I am willing to pay whatever fee is deemed fair by the forum for this service. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you should do is follow the lead of recent participants of a HU challenge (was it Schneids and gonores?) and post a long hand history along with your thoughts about what you were thinking re the moves you made each hand. You won't get a ton of readers, but you'll get a few that are interested in the process. Sure, if you can find a HU expert (lord knows I'm not one) to read your histories for $$, so much the better, but why not post a series of hands here, along with your thoughts on each hand?

(The latter is pretty important -- if you just dump 100 hands here, without any cleanup, context, or comments, you'll not only not get any readers but the local grumps will tear you a new one!)

So give us the first 50/100 hands with comments . . . . should be interesting.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:20 PM

how about your learning experience is to avoid HU games at all costs?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:23 PM

Silly advice. Might as well tell him to quit poker using your logic.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:36 PM

I think avoiding HU unless you consider yourself an expert at it is a great advice. In this situation, I think that is the best advice you can get. I know I am not an expert at heads up and thus the only time I will EVER play it is if a SH game drops down to HU and I am either on a rush or I am playing against someone I totally dominate. When I find myself heads up and I am not winning the after 5-10 minutes, I'm out, every time.

Other good advice: if you lose 25 or 30BB, leave the table, every time. You might be against a player on a rush, you might be outplayed, you might just be having the worst luck ever, but you are losing and are likely to continue to do so because you are now going to be playing worse.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:50 PM

You surely have a heads up strategy?

Why not post details of it, a general outline, what you raise with from each position, what you cap, what you fold pre flop, what you go to showdown with. etc etc

Then players can make comments etc.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Yeah this PUNK sounds terrible, what with winning almost 300bb's in one night heads up......
Old 04-04-2005, 09:06 PM

If anyone wants to play some headsup tonight at PokerStars, I'll be sitting at an 0.02/0.04 table for the next 8 hours while I write a paper for college.. Screename is 'Bodot'.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think avoiding HU unless you consider yourself an expert at it is a great advice. In this situation, I think that is the best advice you can get. I know I am not an expert at heads up and thus the only time I will EVER play it is if a SH game drops down to HU and I am either on a rush or I am playing against someone I totally dominate. When I find myself heads up and I am not winning the after 5-10 minutes, I'm out, every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am extremely selective when it comes to HU games. I KNOW that I am not as good of a HU player as I am with 4+ players. However, I do feel that I am fairly competent, the key is that I only play when I think I have the edge. That is what disturbs me about dropping the 4Gs in this game. I thought I had an edge the whole time, but in retrospect I was probably playing subparly and thus the edge is nonexistent.