Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 03-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Schiavo and Futile Care Law

Is it possible to have an intellectually coherent belief that A) Terri Schiavo should be maintained on life support, and B) that Texas' Futile Care Law is a good and moral law?

Background for those who don't know about the Futile Care Law:
In the late 90's, George Bush as governor of Texas signed into law the Futile Care Law. This allows hospitals to terminate life support to nonresponsive patients who will not recover, regardless of their wishes or their families' wishes, if they cannot pay their bills. The law was just used recently to end the life of a 3-month old: Houston Chronicle

I think it's possible to make a case to maintain Terri's life support on the basis of preserving life whenever possible. I think it's also possible to make a case for the Futile Care Law by acknowledging that we have limited resources and we need to allocate them efficiently. I can't come up with any way that anyone could logically believe both of these things at once.

Anyone want to try?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Schiavo and Futile Care Law

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to have an intellectually coherent belief that A) Terri Schiavo should be maintained on life support, and B) that Texas' Futile Care Law is a good and moral law?

Background for those who don't know about the Futile Care Law:
In the late 90's, George Bush as governor of Texas signed into law the Futile Care Law. This allows hospitals to terminate life support to nonresponsive patients who will not recover, regardless of their wishes or their families' wishes, if they cannot pay their bills. The law was just used recently to end the life of a 3-month old: Houston Chronicle

I think it's possible to make a case to maintain Terri's life support on the basis of preserving life whenever possible. I think it's also possible to make a case for the Futile Care Law by acknowledging that we have limited resources and we need to allocate them efficiently. I can't come up with any way that anyone could logically believe both of these things at once.

Anyone want to try?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush didn't believe in both of these things at once. When it served his political interests he believed in the futile care law and now it serves his interests to believe otherwise.

I don't know why anyone is surprised at this kind of behaviour from a politician. Aren't they supposed to serve the interests of their constituency?