Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Trapping a LAG

Party 1/2 NL 6-Max.
We are 5-handed. I'm in the BB. The reason I'm playing at this table is sitting in the SB. He's very LAG, and in particular I've noticed he has a tendency to overbet the river, often with junk. If he pays attention to table image, he'd see me as a tight player who can make stabs at smaller pots. I called an all-in rereraise from him with a set (he had TP2K), and another all in with AA (he had middle pair).

I have $160, he has $200.
I get dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. Everyone folds to SB, who completes. I check.
Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB bets $2 into a $4 pot. Hero?

My lines are either to raise to $8-$10 or call. A raise charges draws and makes the pot big enough to be worth playing for. Calling shows weakness and tries to induce a bluff. Problem is, a lot of cards are going to slow me down or kill my action: any [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], any 6, 7, 8, 9, or T.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Trapping a LAG

I think this is a fun post.

I would be willing to slowplay this hand. If you've doubled up twice with him, and he's at all observant, he knows you mean it when you show strength. If you raise him, you may take the pot there.

Which is fine. Nothing wrong with winning the pot there. But, personally, I would take this opportunity to add a little more risk for a bigger pot.

Though its certainly possible that the opponent is on a lot of different draws, I worry less about this heads up then I would with several tables.

Personally, I wouldn't let any single one of those cards stop me against one person in the blinds. I may occasionally have a huge beat, but I'm willing to bet against a single opponent, you're going to have the nuts on the river here 95% of the time.

If the turn and river brought both a 9 and a Jack, or 2 diamonds... I'd worry. But any one of the cards you mentioned alone wouldn't be enough to slow me down.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:03 PM

headsup, I think I am willing to take a card off.

your other option I think is to raise him a very very large amount and make it look like a bluff.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:16 PM

"your other option I think is to raise him a very very large amount and make it look like a bluff." I think this works better if he hasn't already beat him with 2 all ins, no? Granted, LAGs may not be that observant, but if someone's busted 2 of my all-in bets, I'm thinking I'd have to give his raise a little respect. (If the guy's an out-an-out maniac, your approach is definitely the best)

But if he's merely LAG, I think he would fold.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:24 PM

I didn't read the history.

in that case, I think taking one off is fine.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM

Half the deck forces you to slow down. If LAG has anything, then he will probably play, and if you are fortunate to catch him with two-pair, then he will probably raise.

Raise now, before you have to slow down with a horrible turn, and try to play a big pot. If you cant because he folds, then so be it, there will be another time. Big hands are made for big pots .... try to make a big pot.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:50 PM

You have the nuts. You want to double up on this hand. If you call on the flop there's $8 in the pot and another $150 that you needs to be bet. Your opponent is dumb and overplays his hands. So raise the flop and let him do his thing.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Though its certainly possible that the opponent is on a lot of different draws, I worry less about this heads up then I would with several tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because we all know that the more tables in a particular hand, the riskier [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] hihi
Old 02-10-2005, 02:55 PM

LOL I certainly wouldn't feel too good if there were 4 full tables in on the hand.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM

Give him the chance to reraise. You said he reraised you all in with TP2K. Raise!