Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Fast or slow - flopped boat

Nice hand.

I think doing anything differently on any street would be bad.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:38 PM

The flop check sucks imo. There are plenty of ways that people could have gutshots and they will take a card off drawing stone dead. There is only one person to act behind you, so it will go though quite often.

The flop check then makes the turn a bitch to play. Will he bet for you again? Will he take a free card? It screams "monster" when you check/call the flop and then go crazy on the turn...

Brad
Old 02-05-2005, 08:03 PM

I actually don't think the flop check was so bad. Even at micro-limits I think everyone who doesn't have an ace/queen or a draw will fold. Then those who miss the turn will fold then. The only people you're sure to get action from are people who would be betting the flop if you check anyways.

OTOH, if you flop a boat like 774 from the big blind, then you should bet, because this is when everybody will call with their overcards and give you all the action you want.

So my opinion is that you played it good on all streets, though I might have bet the turn.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:16 PM

I'd go for the check raise on the flop and bet out the turn.

But the way you played it, you did end up getting more bets in the pot, since the button was pretty determined. Did you have an aggro read on him or something?

Please don't tell me he held 99 or KK?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:02 PM

On Pacific and Party .25/.5 & .5/1, I have found being the first to bet into any paired board causes a lot of folds most of the time. I'm going to estimate I'll see 3 or more callers only 20% of the time and 1 or 2 callers 70% of the time. With the OP's hand, I think it's better to try to get more big bet calls.

Luckily, the button bet. People are more willing to call a button bet because the button is correctly inclined to bet with less of a hand than anyone else. I would definately not check-raise the button even though I was in the best position to do so because I would expect to fold some of my possible big bet action to this very scary board, even though they already made one bet. I would then find it likely to have killed almost all, or all the action, from anyone who stayed to see the turn.

Hopefully, some folks who would have folded to a flop bet by you but not the button, make a hand or a draw on the turn and give you action. I think there are only 11 hands that can beat you. Namely, pocket pairs 22-JJ and an Ax, with a runner-runner of the same rank they hold to make Quads or Aces over Kings.

This hand is so unlikely to lose, I wouldn't worry about that; although once I lost with the next strongest hand to yours. I had KJ, the flop came KKJ, and I lost to an Ax and runner runner Aces. But I get sucked out more than any other poker player in the world, at least lately, so you probably don't have to go by that.

-TomBk

Warning/Disclaimer: Beginner writing.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:18 PM

I disagree with those that say bet the flop. Who cares if the flop gets checked around? It's 1 small bet and no one can possibly have a hand they think has potential to be a winner here.

75% of all turn cards are going to put a two flush on the board and those people are drawing completely dead.

30% of turn cards are going to put a straight draw on the board. These cards (9-A) are also going to give some just enough of a hand to stay around.

Do you guys bet quads on the flop too? Christ, he's got the deck killed here.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On Pacific and Party .25/.5 & .5/1, I have found being the first to bet into any paired board causes a lot of folds most of the time. I'm going to estimate I'll see 3 or more callers only 20% of the time and 1 or 2 callers 70% of the time. With the OP's hand, I think it's better to try to get more big bet calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom - that experience is valuable in choosing a course of action (I don't have extensive experience at these games).

But would anyone who doesn't hold a K or a Q be more likely to call anything for a BB on the turn that they wouldn't call a SB for on the flop (maybe a flush draw)?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys bet quads on the flop too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck ya. Bet the flop, people are more likely to call 1SB than 1 BB.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys bet quads on the flop too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck ya. Bet the flop, people are more likely to call 1SB than 1 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's small quads I agree because there's so many overs that can come that you're not scaring out customers. But in this case I think you are.

If I have 88/99/TT and the flop is KKQ and the flop is checked - on the turn (undercard) I'm going to bet and maybe even raise even though I'm drawing dead. With PF strength and a bet on the flop I'm out of the hand.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have 88/99/TT and the flop is KKQ and the flop is checked - on the turn (undercard) I'm going to bet and maybe even raise even though I'm drawing dead. With PF strength and a bet on the flop I'm out of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you bet your 88/99/TT into this flop?